Downgearing a ZX7R?

lorenzo

I'm on the cusp of ordering a new chain and sprocket for my ZX7R and was toying with the idea of dropping a tooth off the front sprocket. I did this on my last bike and I was in 2 minds about it, I lost the ability to have a sort of 'stealth mode' while on the motorway but when hammering it the bike felt much more lively etc. I was wondering if any of the & community on here has done this and if so did it just add a spring to its step or did it turn it into a crazed wheely monster? I'd like to maintain a semblance of normality to my riding rather than have a fight keeping the front on the ground every time I open the throttle. Opinions and advice?

I'm on the cusp of ordering a new chain and sprocket for my ZX7R and was toying with the idea of dropping a tooth off the front sprocket. I did this on my last bike and I was in 2 minds about it, I lost the ability to have a sort of 'stealth mode' while on the motorway but when hammering it the bike felt much more lively etc. I was wondering if any of the & community on here has done this and if so did it just add a spring to its step or did it turn it into a crazed wheely monster? I'd like to maintain a semblance of normality to my riding rather than have a fight keeping the front on the ground every time I open the throttle. Opinions and advice?

Nothing will turn a 7r into a wheely monster!

When I had one I found 1 off the front changed it too much as it was revving too high at motorway speeds and just made it a bit of a pain, pulled to 145ish if I remember right, so I then went back to a standard front and two on the rear, found it a good middle ground for road use too. one off the front was better on track though.

I'll have a look through my garage to see if i've got any sprockets left in there, I know i've got a screen brace/screen/24ltr endurance tank and a few other little bits!

I'll have a look through my garage to see if i've got any sprockets left in there, I know i've got a screen brace/screen/24ltr endurance tank and a few other little bits!

You have a pm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ive gone -1F +1R on my 91 GSXR750M and its totally changed the feel of the bike. For the kind of roads i use it on its perfect but for motorways it would feel too revvy. I reckon it will redline at at about 140 which is enough for me. Its totally eliminated(masked) the flat spot it used to have at 6k. Got my Sprockets from Wemoto and they were here within 2 days. And of course it still gives me the option of playing with alternatetive combinations of the 4 sprockets i have now.

I run my ZXR track bike on standard front and +1 on the rear, +2 for the shorter tighter stuff. For the road, +1 on the rear is your friend :eusa_whistle:

Mine was +1 at the back, on a fairly well modified engine setup (blueprinted/cams/flowed + full system). Any more than that and it just gets too buzzy and irritating on the road unless you go to a 190/55 rear tyre, in which case a -1 front or +3 rear would probably work well.

Try this site to spend hours trying endless combinations of gearing (and still not be decided)! :tumbleweed:

http://www.gearingcommander.com/

I went -1 on the front of my YZF750, TBH it was a hit and miss affair pulling away from a standstill without leaving teethmarks in the speedo.

Tried +1 on the back, a good compromise.

My '02 Blade had +2 on the back, proper fun!

I love down gearing bikes. Always go at least -1/+1 for the road. Usually +2.

Ran my R6 at Ales, which is well tight and twisty, with 15/51 which is -1/+5. It wheelied a bit................... ^_^

Yeah well, what with me being the most hardcore rider ever, i've ordered a -1 for the front. Just so long as you lot all volunteer to pick the bike up off me when I flip then I should be OK.

Smaler front sprockes aret great for the chain, If it was me Id go up 2 on the back and get a slightly longer chain.

+1

I think i remember reading that anything below 14t on the front will accelerate chain wear. Also when going down too many teeth on the front you can encounter issues with the chain rubbing against the swing arm.

I went -1 +1 just to allow the same length of chain to be used without any probs.

I've gone +2 on the rear on the R1. standard 4xv gearing is 16/43.

I discovered the 04/06 model runs a 45T rear which is the same fitment, and you can go +2 on the rear using the standard chain, whereas +3 would've required extra link

I thought about going -1 on the front but changing the rear is much easier!

I also got hold of a spare sprocket carrier, and bolted the new rear sprocket to that. So now I can change the gearing by just dropping the rear wheel out & swapping over sprocket carriers

my original plan was to use the +2 rear for trackdays and keep the original gearing for the road... but in reality I've been using the +2 gearing ever since.

it certainly makes the bike feel more punchy, without being too revvy. In fact cruising in top gear seems almost unaffected. I'm not interested in top speed, acceleration is more important to me

I haven't bothered with a speedo healer or anything, I know the speedo over-reads a bit now as a result & also it's clocking up the miles slightly quicker, but as it's on a spare set of trackday clocks I don't really care

Archived