Header coating (black), long lasting ? fall apart ?

weeksy

54 minutes ago, HOGG said:

Just learn to live with the mt09 system. Try not to give it another thought 

this is @weeksy - he simply cannot do that. All his bikes have to be immaculate in a way I can only dream of...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, hawkati said:

this is @weeksy - he simply cannot do that. All his bikes have to be immaculate in a way I can only dream of...

Thank you :)

That does mean a few things need sorting on it over winter though like the little oil cooler thing.. that's bloody horrible.

Just now, weeksy said:

Thank you :)

That does mean a few things need sorting on it over winter though like the little oil cooler thing.. that's bloody horrible.

As & when I get my finances together to level up to an 1198 I would clean the living crap out of my 996 then throw hard cash at you knowing full well that you'd take it to another level or five of cleanliness. 

Right, we have a final answer that I'm happy with. Shared a few private messages with a guy in the US who does this for a living and does it on xsr exhausts too.

http://www.hi-speccoatings.co.uk/

This place with blast it then coat with Cerakote which is the stuff the guys in the US use. All for £120. So I'll pick a day next week as I'm off work and shoot over there, maybe taking in Swinley or something on the way back home. 

If it's not brilliant, then it's cost me £120, meh, I can live with that 

• Like 2

The headers on my old GSX-R 600 trackbike are painted with exhaust-header specific paint from an auto parts store, after being thoroughly prepped with red scotchbrite and a dry cleaning solvent. They're immaculate after 2 years and multiple trackdays, I've never touched them since. I reckon something's amiss with the prep or paint.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Frosty_The_Iceman said:

The headers on my old GSX-R 600 trackbike are painted with exhaust-header specific paint from an auto parts store, after being thoroughly prepped with red scotchbrite and a dry cleaning solvent. They're immaculate after 2 years and multiple trackdays, I've never touched them since. I reckon something's amiss with the prep or paint.

I have no doubt you're correct

On 8/6/2020 at 7:40 PM, weeksy said:

Right, we have a final answer that I'm happy with. Shared a few private messages with a guy in the US who does this for a living and does it on xsr exhausts too.

http://www.hi-speccoatings.co.uk/

This place with blast it then coat with Cerakote which is the stuff the guys in the US use. All for £120. So I'll pick a day next week as I'm off work and shoot over there, maybe taking in Swinley or something on the way back home. 

If it's not brilliant, then it's cost me £120, meh, I can live with that 

Dropped off there today and had a day out and picnic with my lad along with some very hot MTB riding too. Back home now with Hobgoblin waiting for it to be ready. 

• Like 1

On 8/6/2020 at 12:29 PM, hawkati said:

As & when I get my finances together to level up to an 1198 I would clean the living crap out of my 996 then throw hard cash at you knowing full well that you'd take it to another level or five of cleanliness. 

Or @banoffee who is legendary for this

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, blow_away said:

@weeksy I'm interested to see how this turned out? 

Not ready yet mate, Tuesday. But not sure if I'll fit this week as I've got Pembrey at the weekend and doing work like this 3-4 days before trackday isn't often wise, just in case like.

So it'll be done soon yeah, just not yet 

• Like 1