Thundercat fork width

lilredmachine

On 5/11/2020 at 6:48 PM, Superdunc said:

I run 180/60 on all my oil boilers, though I guess you run a 530 chain for the turbot.

Yeah, it all gets very close back there. To make matters worse I usually run a 530 EK drag chain which has thicker plates than normal. The rear tyre gets really very severely hot in the bandit as well, so growth is a bit of a concern. The 180/60 just about fits, as you say, but it's more of a comfort thing for me. To be honest it's better off with a drag radial in there anyway, it just overpowers any mortal tyre. 😂 Even the super sticky 180/60 stuff is nowhere near as soft a compound as the drag radial, nor does it have the contact patch.

On 5/11/2020 at 9:08 AM, Kayla said:

TRX, Thundercat and FZR600R all use the same geometry yokes- 200 pitch and 30mm offset and are interchangeable as are the forks but you'll need a couple of small spacers to use the TRX/FZR6R wheel in Thundercat forks. The brake stuff all lines up nicely though and they all use a 17mm spindle :) The TRX bottom yoke is aluminium and nicer if you can find one. TRX has a 120 front tyre as standard on a 3.5" wheel, OG Fazer 6 is 110 on a 3" wheel. FZR400 3TJ, FZR600R and TRX front wheels are the same part and all came with a 120/60 tyre as standard.

I'm absolutely certain you know more about this than me as my dalliances with Yamaha mods are fairly limited to lobbing bluespots at FJ1200s and doing stupid things to diversions, however are you sure TRX yokes are 200 pitch? It's just that when Hybrid400 was measuring his TRX yokes live to me down the phone, he distinctly said that they were roughly 190mm fork centre to fork centre [I could be confusing what you mean when you say pitch though]. This would also explain to me why you say that you need to use spacers when running the TRX/FZR6R wheel in the Thundercat forks [and yokes]? I have also seen various other sources on the net that list the same 190mm fork spacing [pitch?] for the TRX, and 200ish for the Thundercat. Hybrid400 was of the same opinion as me at the time as to why spacers are needed to run the front wheel of the TRX in the Thundercat forks/yokes. Could be totally wrong though. 🤷‍♂️  

Scratch that, I am wrong, just found a listing of various yoke sizes.

Ignore me. And Steve apparently. 😂

Steve has so many Yamaha parts lying around he may well have been measuring something he thought were TRX yokes. 😂

Edited by lilredmachine

10 minutes ago, coombehouse said:

What about zx9r C model forks or are they too short?

Will check into that. The ZX9 C forks are pretty long and 46mm in diameter. Would be a yoke swap but worth a look.

Only other suggestion would be cbr1000f. The last of them had cartridge forks I believe. Plenty long enough as I used some in a katana a long time ago but getting some decent ones might prove difficult.

Cartridge 1989 onwards & there are plenty on ebay cheap. Enough room to run a mechanical Speedo too.. I used a Yamaha wheel in mine with big discs & calipers on adapter plates.

Edited by coombehouse
More info

The Thundercat front wheel is different, it's slightly wider across the hub and uses later R1/R6 type flat discs :) 90s Yam stuff is like Lego, I love it :D 

• Like 1