R1 parts ompatibility?

Bernster

Anyone aware if items such as exhaust hanger bracket's, single seat cowl's are interchangeable between the YZF-R1 models 4XV - 5JJ - 5PW? The exhaust hanger looks the same, but without samples and a rule it's hard to determine via photographs alone.

what year models

Just wondered while eBay shopping what parts might be interchangable between 4XV - 5JJ - 5PW. I can compare against my 5VY directly but I have a 4XV but no 5JJ or 5PW.

Just wondered while eBay shopping what parts might be interchangable between 4XV - 5JJ - 5PW. I can compare against my 5VY directly but I have a 4XV but no 5JJ or 5PW.

A lot - but not everything - is interchangeable between the 98/99 & 00/01 models - that's 4XV and 5JJ respectively.

Some notable differences are the nose cone section - ie top fairing, screen, clocks & front subframe, front wiring loom.

The radiators cannot be swapped between these models due to different temp sensors & how they connect to the front loom.

Petrol tank, rider & pillion seats & tail unit are also different. Fairing side panels and bellypan are interchangeable.

But AFAIK there's not much - if anything - that's interchangeable between the above models and the black framed fuel injected model 5PW.

I think the clutch is the same but that's about it!

while we're on this subject then, how difficult is to get the later (5PW) tail section to fit a 5JJ?

not sure on the level of difficulty, but it's not impossible. Mate of mine had one exactly like that, and it looked good.

Well, it did initially, but sadly the bike had an argument with a road sign last year when we were razzing round the Peak District

R1P.jpg

you can just see the remnants of the later model seat unit & undertray.

can't remember if he did the conversion or bought it like that, I'll have a word with him next time I see him

I was tempted to have a go, if only for the cool LED tail-light that really suits some integrated indicators. But I couldn't be arsed.

Exhaust hangers are interchangeable and I'd imagine things like footrest brackets, pillion pegs are too. The 4xv/5jj front wheel and disks are the same as fitted to the 5pw too. So are the front calipers apart from the 5pw had gold spots instead of blue.

Archived