syler

reverse gear shift  

15 members have voted

1. 1. is it worth it on the road?

• get it done... u'll never look back
    • stick with standard gearing
    • I Dunno
    • oooooh biscuits!!!!

Ok so been pondering this a while.. the 1 up 5 down... I know all racers use it and when i fitted my gillies rearsets it stated reverse race gearing accesable

but how do you set the bike up for it?? and is it useful in road riding?

Ok so been pondering this a while.. the 1 up 5 down... I know all racers use it and when i fitted my gillies rearsets it stated reverse race gearing accesable

but how do you set the bike up for it?? and is it useful in road riding?

AFAIK racers use a reverse shift pattern so they can press down on the lever to change up a gear whilst the bike is well cranked over in a corner.

sometimes, when it's really leant right over, it can be difficult to get your foot under the lever to change up.

Also - I think - it's a teeny weeny bit quicker to press down on the lever, than it is to hook your foot under it to lift it up.

Not all racers use a reverse shift - some stick with the standard pattern.

Nothing is needed to set the bike up for it, other than changing your rearsets to allow the reverse shift.

Not sure how useful it is for road riding. If you forget and lift the lever to up-shift, you'll be changing down a gear. Potentially expensive at high revs!

HTH

I think it would be great to learn that way...but re-learning has led to a few people I know crashing, so I'm sticking with the pipe and slippers, up for up layout

Why not try it and see how you get on. You could always put it back to std if you can't get on with it.

I ran my RD500 many years ago with the reverse shift and it didn't take too long to get used to it.

I voted for biscuits though.

I think it would be great to learn that way...but re-learning has led to a few people I know crashing, so I'm sticking with the pipe and slippers, up for up layout

+1 :icon_salut:

But have found a few times I've not been able to change up when cranked over cos I cant get me foot under the gear change!!

I voted biscuits too choc Hobnobs, or Club, ta.

I run down for up. This is accross the board now, even for the stuff that will never go on track.

Wanted to do it since last year, but decided not to learn on track where mistakes could cause crashes. Chose to swap the winter bike around and spend 4 months practicing at tootle pace before upping the pace.

Feels like they have always been that way around, normal practice now. Before it was ingrained higher speed use was ok due to higher concentration, then the odd mistake when not concentrating as much when riding slowly. The only other mistake was on a tuned R1 last year... but it was on braking that I would do it. Down, down, down resulted in up,up,up, so no death-rattles.

Difference on road? None, feels normal. Usefullness on road? None at all, can't think of hardly any corners where it would be critical. On track though, extra useful. And much cheaper, was doing a set of boots, then rolls of gaffa tape at frightening rate. The whole thing was spurred into action cos of purchasing some Daytona look-at-me's. Thankfully, no boot to ground scapage yet...

Try it, if you don't like it swop back. Just remember to think until used to it.

so how do i actually need to do to the rearsets to reverse the shift??.. might give it a go n see how I handle it!!

Take the rearsets off complete with gear linkage, then turn whole rest of bike up side down, then re-fit rearsets and gear linkage. Finally sell all tools and motorcycle on Ebay.

Nee offence, but. If your serious and can't work that bit out, isn't the job, and exercise doomed? :icon_bounce:

Please don't chop the top of me head off ;)

4 months practicing at tootle pace

Where is this mythical place ?cant find it on google maps

alternatively , ride with your legs crossed ;)

I've tried a couple of bikes now with race shift and having never used it that way you just have to think a

bit more till you get used to it.

No real benefit on the road though imho

nigel

tis easy, swap the linkage round simple as that. i have always ridden with the rverse shift since first getting my yammagamma together. i dont ride on the road and reverse shift helps when cranked over. apart from clearance benefits, shifting up is slicker minimising upsetting the bike, critical on the 250 as its so light and pinpoint. doesnt take anyphysical effort to change line and something as small as a clumbsy gearchange can send the bike into a headshake. i suspect this isnt a problem for most of you lot but stil, the benefits from clearance are still apparent. plus it adds kudos as rossi and co (mosty of em) use the same layout. a big deal to a thousand 20yr old 400 pilots across the nation!!!!!!

I've tried a couple of bikes now with race shift and having never used it that way you just have to think a

bit more till you get used to it.

No real benefit on the road though imho

nigel

Nige is right....On the road it makes no difference at all... I have always run reverse pattern so I stick with that but as I do ride different bikes quite often I have no problem with either shift pattern but it can be confusing for a while as you adjust... Once it becomes natural then going from one to the other is easy....

I'd vote for busciuts but I'm trying not eat stuff with sugar .... do you have something more ... well y'know diet ???

Wanted to do it since last year, but decided not to learn on track where mistakes could cause crashes. Chose to swap the winter bike around and spend 4 months practicing at tootall pace before upping the pace.

now that's not very nice. I was under the impression that he was pretty quick :eusa_dance:

As for me, I'm not that quick, and given all the circuits I'm likely to ride on are predominately right handed, I don't see the point. Plus half our bikes don't have linkage shifts, so I'd end up with a mixture - although I'm sure you'd learn to deal with it, a mate of mine used to switch between a 70's Morini 3 1/2 (right foot, upside down shift) and an 80's Dart (left foot, rwu shift). He did blow a lot of engines up but I think that's just Morinis rather than bodged shifts :blush:

Archived