08 R1 + 'Baffle Removed' standard Mufflers

jamesthehondaman

08 R1 ... stock ... -1 16t front sprocket ...

Do 'standard mufflers' with their baffles "professionaly removed", provide the "great sound and performance" as claimed in an advertisement I've seen???

Do they relieve back pressure like an aftermarket performance slip on muffler???

Except for their weight, of course!, it would seem that they offer a cheaper option and maintain the 'stock' look of the bike.

Anyone tried this option???

Advise politely requested please.

Thanks.

If you flick through some recent issues of PB you'll see how hard it can be to make any decent performance gains on a modern bike without going for a full system and a Power Commander and lots of set up time.

You might get more noise but that's about it. Plus, standard cans are normally a sleeve covering a whole load of chambers through which the gases pass back and forth, creating much more area for sound deadedning than the normal aftermarket 'absorption' baffle straight through (with easily removeable baffle) type set-up, so I'm not sure how someone can 'professionally remove' the baffles, IYSWIM

Rubbish 10 second sketch to show what I mean:

baffles.jpg

Dave

I've got the A and R baffle kit on my '05 , and it's not bad however i've known a couple of peeps do this on the 07 and 08 models and it makes them ridiculously loud , so much so that they have since changed them again for akra's cos they are quieter ! , I recently refitted some std cans for a quiet track day at donny and i dont think they make that much difference tbh ( you would be pushed to notice a 10 bhp increase on a 160 bhp bike , it might just rev a little quicker ) personally i think you would be better spending your dosh on a de-cat pipe to stop it burning your ball's

Archived