Redex

Zakalwe

I was reading on VTR1000.org about a chap that put some Redex in the petrol tank of an SP1. About 18 miles later, loads of white smoke and coolant loss. He has topped the coolant level up, and now has coolant peeing from the joints in the exhaust. Apparently Redex burns hot enough to burn the head gasket (or the head :eusa_whistle: ).

I personally think petrol additives are snake-oil (modern petrol contains detergent cleaners anyway), but I am shocked that a petrol additive could do this sort of damage.

The moral is: dont be tempted tuse Redex to give your FI system a clean out after a lay up.

I've used it for years in bikes and never had a problem, used to use shit loads of it in the 1000RX to try and combat carb icing in winter, never had a problem. This is the first report I've heard like this, sure his head gasket wasn't weak/damaged anyway?

I've used it for years in bikes and never had a problem, used to use shit loads of it in the 1000RX to try and combat carb icing in winter, never had a problem. This is the first report I've heard like this, sure his head gasket wasn't weak/damaged anyway?

+1. Never had a problem.

Used it on most of the bikes I've owned, especially if they've been layed-up over winter.

In fact, my 22 year old Flymo has a serious Redex habit, probably why it's still going after 22 years.

was just about to chuck some through my engine to give it a clear out after a lay up. carbed so perhaps not that bad? what do ya think?

I was reading on VTR1000.org about a chap that put some Redex in the petrol tank of an SP1. About 18 miles later, loads of white smoke and coolant loss. He has topped the coolant level up, and now has coolant peeing from the joints in the exhaust. Apparently Redex burns hot enough to burn the head gasket (or the head :tumbleweed: ).

I personally think petrol additives are snake-oil (modern petrol contains detergent cleaners anyway), but I am shocked that a petrol additive could do this sort of damage.

The moral is: dont be tempted tuse Redex to give your FI system a clean out after a lay up.

Could have been a coincidence but why not be less of an idle bugger and take carbs aprart to clean them? - I think you are right to be suspicious of petrol additives, multi fire ignitions, fuel 'catalysts,' magic magnets, etc, etc.

I wouldn't touch the stuff - I have nasty problems with carb icing on the ZX9, and just add 1% surgical spirit every tankful.

Works a treat :eusa_whistle:

Don't ask my why, as I'v eno rational reason, but I wouldn't be putting Redex anywhere near one of my bikes.

When there are 'decent' bike specific products available on the market (okay, you have to see passed the 'hype' a little), I can't see why you would need to use it (iyswim, n'at)

Carb icing? I used Silkolene 'FST' (first used on my ol' Kawasaki, with no issues)

Carb cleaning? I use contact cleaner.

Fueling 'issues'? I've been known to use Silkolene's 'Pro-Boost' for that one.

'Winterising'(?) involves draining the tank (or completely filling) with a little fuel conditioner/stabiliser for good measure (Motul, Motorex, Wruth or even Tractor Davidson's stuff has been used).

I didn't even think you were supposed to put Redex 'Red' anywhere near fuel injection systems anyways, but you live and learn...

G

Redex certainly do an addative that's OK with fuel injections. I've used all sorts of fuel system cleaners in the past without any trouble, apart from the one time when I added a whole bottle designed for a big 50l tank on a car to a 10l tank on the bros. Cleaned the crap out of the tank OK, but it overwhelmed the fuel filter pretty quickly too, blocked some jets, this sort of thing. Made me do what I should've done and that's clean the carbs out!

Wynns dry fuel is also another good one if ya cant get hold of FST, used it many times as you can get it from halfrauds when I ran my kwaks over winter. reckon its coincidence meself its gone pop or he's bloody unlucky

sounds like co-incidence to me.

18 miles doesn't seem far enough to cause damage like that.

My old car used to cut out all the time when idling, I thought it was possibly down to the ECU but I gave the redex injection cleaner a go anyway. No more problems after that, I think you're probably safe as long as you use the right stuff for your engine, and the stuff I used definately worked for me.

I use carb cleaner addaative once in a while.

The only time I had any difference was when put to much in the Bim, it ran rough for a little while but then I stopped at the garage and filled the tank (which was low) then it was fine.

I think the SP1 owner "may" have added to much and "possibly" agrivated a "potenially" weakened head gasket. If it was just the addative then how come both gaskets didn't let go ?

So moral - if you do use it do the maths so you can estimate how much per tank and add it to a full tank only.

Archived