Beeks rs/rg500 project

beek

its starting to look summat like now mate :lol:

Cheers Si

I decided to go ahead and mod under the fairing as i thought the bottom yoke showing looked a bit odd. It was pretty easy to do ill post some pics when i get a chance.

Next job is making a cowl around radiator kind of blending it into the shape of the fairing.

Ive got lots of them silly little jobs that should take 5 minutes but ending up spending hours on them,

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still got lots of the smaller jobs to do but decided if i want it fired up while the weather is still warm the engine has got to be built.

The cases are already aqua blasted so after getting some bits together i was ready to start. i havent a final list for parts so making that as i go along. its short but you never know.

engine cases clean and on my home made stand ready

1readytostart.jpg

Test fit of cranks to make sure all the important bits line up.

2testfitcranks.jpg

Cranks in and timed up

3cranksin.jpg

Top case fitted and checking crank timing is spot on

5checkcranktiming.jpg

Disc valves fitted.

6discvalvefitting.jpg

disc covers on

7discsvalvescomplete.jpg

Cant do the top end as waiting for bits to arrive, Gearbox and clutch is next but need to check it over first

more to follow as i go.

Love the bare ally look, all ways fancied that for mine till I sold the lot!, looking real clean and factory. Are you going to powder coat the frame or make the paint work bold and lairy?

Love the bare ally look, all ways fancied that for mine till I sold the lot!, looking real clean and factory. Are you going to powder coat the frame or make the paint work bold and lairy?

Black Frame for sure. not really decided on bodywork paint scheme but got a few ideas.

What that engine really needs is one of those gearbox/dry clutch conversions that Nova Racing do...

don't do it it's shite and weighs more than the wet clutch fitted . i asked about one when i bought my nova box and even graham said it was shite (in a roundabout way) . looking good by the way .

don't do it it's shite and weighs more than the wet clutch fitted . i asked about one when i bought my nova box and even graham said it was shite (in a roundabout way) . looking good by the way .

Think there is some truth in what you say.

Id agree the rg is prone to gearbox problems but the price of the nova gearboxes and clutch just make it out of reach to most folks, As a road bike i see no benefit of fitting them even if it looks good but if i won the lottery then maybe id rethink

I am planning to replace the primary gears with straight cut ones at some point and uprate the gearbox but that it.

sorry i would say the gearbox is a must have , i've had experience of gear 2 leaving its shaft on a fully modded unit and as usual left via the normal route straight out off the back of the box (cases are expensive although you have some spare i seem to remember) . i also run straight cut primaries as this helps take some of the side load off the crank/gears . its the dry clutch conversion they do thats shite , well for road use anyway .

my brothers old rg 5 and a mates rg 5 both had the second gear trouble

Ive just been checking over my gearbox and it looks good i have every confinence in it otherwise it wouldnt go in so im happy to use them for now but as i said will replace some gear, But not all.

got to agree the straight cut primary gears are a must on these big two stroke as they do thend to pull the cranks apart.

The gearbox discussion could go on for ever some bike have high miles with no problems others seem to get problem, guess a lot of it must be down to the rider,

Hi Jason the finish on the engine look great, are you using 400 disc valves??

Yes mate 400 disc valves, mainly as id already got them but heard that the timing is slightly better than 500 ones but havent seen any proof. beside they were already in the engine

trying to source all the petrol and oil pipes never known a engine use so many differnt sizes

How you doing are things progressing

Cool, when do you think you'll have it running?

:)

still got to rebuild the top end awaiting bits which should be here next week ideally i want it fired up as soon as possible so i can check its running ok, then need to strip the bike down to finish bits of and start painting. still got loads to do but would like it done now as i cant wait.

Shit, best get your head done! Will try to get it on machine this week (we've been extremely bust the past month or so). I hadnt forgotten. Looking good Jason.

Well the engine is finally finished, glad to report no major problems rebuilding it. Got to crack on with a few jobs then ill be able to put the engine in the chassis and fire it up.

Happy so far with how things are going, hope all the followers have enjoyed the updates

eng.jpg

engdone1.jpg

engdone2.jpg

engdone3.jpg

Getting close! What pipes are you going to use?

Ive got Sugaya pipes, so called one of the best, ive had to do a lot of chopping mind but kept the same dimensions.

Just finished the top pipes but still need to weld the stingers and silencer mounts will post some pics later tonight.

Getting close! What pipes are you going to use?

He's running some gp pipes, i tried to look through the pages to find where it was written but couldnt find it, but hes definitely running some sort of gp exhaust

Ok the pipes

I originally bought some Sugaya pipes these were one up each side , so the first thing i needed to do was to convert then to gp style 2 up one side. so after altering the cones i was able to get the 2 pipes pointing in the direction i wanted. Making the stinger parts were going to be a bit more difficult so ive made some up in copper pipe to give me some idea of the shape im after and how many bends ill need to do,

so this is the lower pipes mock up

pipes.jpg

The rear top pipes are a lot straight forward just needed to adjust the stingers and size up the silencers, ( yes they are of a works rgv500 titanium and carbon )

Pic showing the silencers in position

d.jpg

Pic showing the rear light and tail tidy fitted

b.jpg

a.jpg

What the followers will see

c.jpg

f.jpg

e.jpg

Well the engine is finally finished, glad to report no major problems rebuilding it. Got to crack on with a few jobs then ill be able to put the engine in the chassis and fire it up.

Happy so far with how things are going, hope all the followers have enjoyed the updates

engdone1.jpg

Now that, is a thing of beauty :)

Archived