Beeks rs/rg500 project

beek

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your a devil Eddie but without your help it wouldnt of been possible so i thank you for that. Im happy to that you thought it was a good idea too.

So if you want your calipers engraved Eddie is the man.

The exhaust pipes will get sand blasted and then painted/coated, as it is the rust is only surface so not to worried id sooner leave them as they are at the moment as they are on and off the bike often so if painted they would be scratched to hell by now. as they are they havent got any worse since ive owned them a year or so.

Hi Beek,

glad to see you are still working on this. I just finished welding up the 2 front exhausts on my RG project and am busy cutting the steel for the rear exhausts (but it's too bloody cold in my garage to work on it for the moment!!).

IMG_3317Large.jpg

The rear exhausts are just resting in place, i will lower the stingers a little bit, but you get the idea!! Can't wait to finish the mechanics and start the electrics so I can actually fire the bugger up later this year!! Will still be a long time before I have bodywork and can ride it, but just being able to start it up will be great.

Jason have a Happy new year and all the best for 2010

Gary

Thats looking good Gary.

what are you going to do radiator wise as it looks like not a lot of space, Are you going to get one made to fit.

Looking at your rear pipes they look very high at the silencer end, have you tried a seat on there One of the worst bits is when people run the pipes high so making the seat high it looks wrong and spoils to overall look.

Other than that a cracking project you have, you are like me take your time and get it right,

The weather here is chilly too, we got our first snow yesterday all 1 Inch of it was hardly enough to build a snow man. But i find its a good time to do those small jobs that dont take long. kinds of keeps an interest in the project.

Thats looking good Gary.

what are you going to do radiator wise as it looks like not a lot of space, Are you going to get one made to fit.

Looking at your rear pipes they look very high at the silencer end, have you tried a seat on there One of the worst bits is when people run the pipes high so making the seat high it looks wrong and spoils to overall look.

Other than that a cracking project you have, you are like me take your time and get it right,

The weather here is chilly too, we got our first snow yesterday all 1 Inch of it was hardly enough to build a snow man. But i find its a good time to do those small jobs that dont take long. kinds of keeps an interest in the project.

Hi Beek,

The rear silencers are my concern, like you mention they are too high, I am still trying to decide if I build a custom rear sub frame and get the exhausts lower, or just put a small bend in the pipes and lower the exit of the silencers an inch or so (Far less work than making a sub frame!). The seta height doesn't seem to be a problem, I have put a seat on and I am 6'2" tall and can touch the floor no problem, it will have a solo seat so I don't need to worry about the passenger seat!! Like you, just plodding along slowly.,. I have been doing some photo shop work to try and see what exhausts height looks best so I can decide on r6 sub frame or make a new sub frame!!

I was hoping to use the R6 radiator as it's a lot bigger than a stock RG radiator, but it won't fit in the space available, I am still trying to decide if I will modify the R6 radiator by removing the lower section to fit, or purchase a smaller radiator of something else, or go like an SP1 and fit two vertical side mounted radiators.. It really is my last concern, I know I can get something in there, so I will worry about it a bit later on, want to get the exhausts and engine mounts all done..

All the best for 2010

Gary

I know what you mean re radiators

a good idea to chop the bottom of the r6 one.

I am using a tdm 850 one its about average width slightly fatter than most rads, im also planning a small rad down near the pipes in the vee of the fairing. with all the pipework ect it should hold plenty of water, the only concern as always is over heating when stood still. but i may be able to squeeze in a fan as ive got a bit of room behind the main rad. but not sure if enough.

rads like this one

http://i.ebayimg.com/11/!Bf7sI1gBWk~...3;!~~_3.JPG

I hear what your saying about the seat support its to nice to cut unless you have to. once youve decided on the seat youll soon see what youve got to do.

• 1 month later...

Update

Decided to fit the fairing i intend to use, first impression is wow it fits without doing any major modifications,

2nd impression i like more im not one for sitting on it and dreaming but i couldnt resist this time.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Update

Decided to fit the fairing i intend to use, first impression is wow it fits without doing any major modifications,

2nd impression i like more im not one for sitting on it and dreaming but i couldnt resist this time.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Have been waiting for an update for a while now.

Looks great! Can't wait to see it finished.

• 1 month later...

Lots of things going on but a big step was finding a suitable head light to suit the fairing. i wanted something not to big and one that takes little room inside the fairing found one from a moped that suited my needs.

Also managed to find some radial brembo calipers for a good price so well pleased. lots more in progress so update you later

6-1.jpg

4-1.jpg

bb1.jpg

bb2.jpg

• 1 month later...

After many hours making a mould ive finally made the seat unit. considering it was my first attempt at making some thing so big it turned oou ok. ive a few air / pin holes but a bit of filler will make it useable.

Fairing is now fixed proper so ill be able to sort out the exhaust pipes and get them finished.

lots of small bits been made by my mate Paul and a really good job hes done too. Thanks Buddie

some pics

fairingmounts.jpg

rwspindle.jpg

oiltank.jpg

ss1.jpg

ss2.jpg

ss3.jpg

7-1.jpg

Gary

Your still be finished before me. i spend to much time flaffing about havibg 5yo under my feet doesnt help but its the only way hes going to learn

I was thinking that the front fairing may perhaps look a bit too modern for the seat unit, but the head light really brings it back. Top job on the seat unit too, keep the mold, and you can make spares.

Really looking forward to seeing this all stickered up. Any livery ideas?

Never easy to decide what fairing or seat to use, Im not a lover of some of the fairing and seats used on some of the rg500 projects. as for having the rear pipes exposed like some do doesnt do it for me it makes it a kind of street fighter rather than a gp based bike, as afterall thats what the rg is.

Who knows in the future i may design the bodywork myself and make it, Thats if my skills in fibreglassing improve but at the moment im happy with the out come

Never easy to decide what fairing or seat to use, Im not a lover of some of the fairing and seats used on some of the rg500 projects. as for having the rear pipes exposed like some do doesnt do it for me it makes it a kind of street fighter rather than a gp based bike, as afterall thats what the rg is.

My sentiments exactly.

The bike looks the business. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived