Beeks rs/rg500 project

beek

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hi,

nice project.. what is the benefit of floating discs??

Ive heard its to reduce warping of the disc due to it being able to float, could be a load of tosh tho, all i know for sure is that i have a cast iron set and they bloody good.

Cracking project, cant wait to see this finished,

Things have moved on a bit since ive last posted so here are some upto date pics of how its going.

Id always planned to do some more work on the frame cut outs to tidy them up abit and this is what ive done. shaping a alloy piece to sit in and weld up so it looks nice job done.

co1.jpg

co2.jpg

f1.jpg

f2.jpg

f3.jpg

f4.jpg

Engine cradle is now finished cross bars have been added along with lower radiator mounts. pleased with how it came together

c1.jpg

c2.jpg

2 stroke oil tank was never going to be easy so thought best option was to make one to suit ive used an original top and level sensor from another tank i had turned out pretty good so please with it.

ot1.jpg

ot2.jpg

ot3.jpg

Ive had a few more bits made and welded little brackets ect but as you see taking shape. next step in exhaust pipes

Very neat and tidy welding and fabrication. Beautiful. This bike is fantastic

Certainly is... who's doing the welding Beek?

Certainly is... who's doing the welding Beek?

A chap in Reading does my welding pm me if you want a number. He only welds it i have to make all the bits

The rad in the pics is a r6 but ive since changed it to a smaller one of a tdm850. But to be honest this one isnt the perfect size i really need something in between the r6 size and the tdm, but i may run a second small rad to get the same effect. but this depends on fairing space so will decide as and when

The radiators are always a pain as you want to get as much cooling as you can but they also need to fit in the space that you have. which isnt a lot when youve got the lower pipes in the way, but im happy to change things when i need to rather than just bodge to make it fit if you know what i mean.

The project is actually taking longer than i intended so im a bit behind so im hoping over the winter to make some progress but will keep putting up a few pics from time to time to keep all you lot interested.

Thanks for all your comment as it gives me motivation.

The project is actually taking longer than i intended so im a bit behind

Thanks for rad info, it looks as though that would suit my projects.

Tell me about them taking longer...

Looking good Beek !

I haven't done a thing to any of mine :eusa_whistle:

I will try and catch up with you one weekend , I really want to see this beauty in the flesh .

What happened to project 4DL/Valve , have you still got it ?

Cheers,

Will ( closely eyeing his 4DL chassis and Valve engine in the disaster area that is his garage !)

Do you think you could remove me from the list, seeing as I am no longer an admin? Thanks.

By the way, from what I have seen, this is going to be an excellent project, with or without me

Good job guys, and keep up the good work.

Some more pics for those who are following my project

The main part of the pipes are now done just the stingers to do. the lower stingers will need some bending to bring them up the side of the swingarm. the rears are pretty easy. They were a pain to weld as the rust was deeper than expected so was lucky to get them this good. the lower pipes have been altered so both exit on one side it looks pretty good so pleased with it.once the stingers are in it will look better

1a.jpg

DSCF6072.jpg

DSCF6073.jpg

DSCF6074.jpg

DSCF6075.jpg

DSCF6076.jpg

DSCF6077.jpg

yep real rgv500 silencers. titanium and carbon.

I bought them of ebay a few years ago when interest wasnt that high for things like this, paid £199 for the set of 4 so not bad. the problem though will be if one get damaged, how on earth do you replace some thing like this.

• 2 months later...

Progress has been quite slow as to cold for me outside.

I decided i wasnt happy with the front end, i bought a tyga carbon mudguard for the gsxr forks but it seemed to sit very high. so decided to make it to fit lower so it is closer to the tyre, this isnt easy to do as any mods to the mudguard is almost impossible apart from making the mount holes oval even then the bolts wouldnt sit into the mudguard as they should, so after some thought i decided to make a removable adjustable mount plate. This is the prototype made by hand but now i know it works ok ill get a pair made one setting is as per the original height the other makes the mudguard lower.

this is how it originally looked

a2.jpg

this is how ive done the mount plates.

a1.jpg

ive also done some cleaning up of the forks, ive removed the old rear mudguard mounts and the brake hose clamp mounts. the original front mounts have been cut short and threaded to bolt the adjustable plate onto.

and the mudguard cut and trimmed to make it look better.The calipers have had the lugs that hold the hose fitting removed, and ive had the tokico name removed and Brembo engraved into the calipers.

a3.jpg

a4.jpg

ive recently bought a span adjuster to suit my brembo master cylinder which looks quite trick

DSCF6190.jpg

overall im pleased with how its all turned out as for little effort it is quite different from the rest.

So some progress made though not as much as id like.

Nice attention to detail :thumbsup:

Once again, that is some excellent work you have done there.

I done a similar thing (sort of) to the front mudguard of my SRAD.

I like the span adjuster, did you buy it new? If so, that is not a cheap bit of kit!

Once again, that is some excellent work you have done there.

I done a similar thing (sort of) to the front mudguard of my SRAD.

I like the span adjuster, did you buy it new? If so, that is not a cheap bit of kit!

I was lucky i picked up the New span adjuster for £100 considering they are £300 odd thought it was a good deal

The brembo m/c and lever again both new were picked up cheapish too so ive got a nice set up for not a lot of money.

Archived