Beeks rs/rg500 project

beek

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I suspect he'll be going for pod-type filters that'll sit between the carb mouth and fairing.

Otherwise it'll have to be some kind of ram system at the front with ducts/tubes coming around the sides.

Do tell!

Looks cracking so far!

BW

Are you going to polish the frame, or powder coat it?

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with air-box wise.

I suspect he'll be going for pod-type filters that'll sit between the carb mouth and fairing.

Otherwise it'll have to be some kind of ram system at the front with ducts/tubes coming around the sides.

Do tell!

Looks cracking so far!

BW

The frame and swingarm will be powdercoated Black the main reason is that the anodise has been removed on a lot of it so it would either be a lot of work to remove it all or paint. so Paint it will be. plus the black frame will go with the looks that im trying to achieve

i would expect to use some sort of pod filter but havent really gave it much though as yet. it for certain the original air filter set up cant be used but no great loss as this is pretty restricting anyway, but also im not convinced on results from the pod filters some of the $200 sets are no better than home made efforts so i need to work on this one, while the ram air would be suitable for a race type engine i see no benefits for a road bike infact a road bike will preforms better with still air rather than forced.

Ive still a long way to go and almost eveything presents some problem so takes time to solve them. Things like the pipes that i planned to use were not really fitting right the down pipes were at the wrong angle so got inway of tyre and later fairing so im planning new tighter curves on the down pipes to solve this. then ive got to redo all the mountings and re cone the left pipe to exit on the right along with the left pipe. ala gp style all these things take time but is part of the enjoyment of building such a project. i must admit though i do get disalousioned every so often but once i get back into it i realise why im doing it

• 2 weeks later...

Well ive managed some progress

New header pipes have been made thanks Martin. all fit nice now so need to get them welded up and set to work altering the rear cones so the pipes exit at a better angle. Then the engine cradle needs to be made ive managed to lower but need to find some one local to bend square section ally if this fails then ill remake in round ally

shows one of the old pipes and one new

pb1-2.jpg

look better now

pb2-2.jpg

Oyeah baby

pb3-2.jpg

Beek is in Poole .

Good news first test run today and looks good, think ive got more power than i first thought

video clip

I think you have a problem. I don't know how to break this to you gently, but the engine is running backwards.

Wow, fantastic job. Have you got plans for the motor, Beek? A 110bhp RS250 would be a proper weapon!

I think achieving 110bhp is within reach fairly easily and not at a high cost. i do intend to keep as much as possible std more for reliability as rebuilds are not cheap so some cleaning of the ports. bore the carbs, head skimming and the pipes i have should make it breath a bit better. to be honest im not thinking to much engine wise at present but do know a few people who have done mods

My aim is to rebuild the engine over the winter if i find on stripping that the cylinders are not to good then it will go to 570 if bores are ok ill leave alone and just rebore and refresh bits as i need to.

Nice fabbing skills and lurvely welding *dribble* *thrap, thrap, thrap, nng, nng, ngg, spurge!*

I decided to make the engine cradle with round aluminium and found a local company to do the bending, pleased with the results, still got to get it welded but atleast some progress

pb2-3.jpg

pb3-3.jpg

pb1-3.jpg

• 1 month later...

With a few more of the jobs done im at this stage, Im pleased with how the engine cradle worked out . thanks to Paul who made the mountings ect without his help it would of turned out as good, Now working on reworking the exhaust pipes to fit luckly they dont look like it will take much work, the only one presenting a problem is the lower left as ive got to cut the cones and reposition them so it exits on the right side.

Also been making lots of brackets to bolt things on. as you can see front fairng mount kind of taking shape got the pv actulater box and speedo position sorted.

15.jpg

14.jpg

13.jpg

12.jpg

11.jpg

1.jpg

Just one thought, is the front mudguard going to hit your rather nice radiator?

Good work by the way, and I think one boypower must be worth 110bhp easily! :icon_salut::eusa_dance:

• 1 month later...

The project is still going on but maybe a bit slower than id like but things are happening thats the main thing.

Floating rear disc is now done Thanks Paul.

Im very pleased with it and looks the dogs.

As im using cbr wheels there isnt anything available to buy so hence making one. the outer is a modified cbr disc with new inner and bobbins

Also newly made silencer mounts.

p8.jpg

p2-1.jpg

p6.jpg

p5.jpg

Archived