none starter

pete smith

Only getting a clicking noise from solenoid when pressing starter. Checked battery voltage fine attach booster and starts straight away.New battery 4 weeks ago. Anybody any ideas?

knackered battery i would say, has it been left for a while? is it a top up battery?, check the levels and go from there but definately sounds like its dead and time for a new one.

sounds a bit battery related - why did you replace the last one? do you have a dodgy aftermarket alarm, etc

earth properly connected had a similar issue and it was the earth strap that was corroded to hell on the frame.

also if it clicks does usuallu suggest that the battery isnt man enuough

Is it a gel battery? Could be a even a new gel can't take that long unused. Did you have a charger connected? Are you 100% the reg/rec is charging? What voltage does it record?

Isn't it more likely that the solenoid itself is knackered/sticking?

Mitch

Not likely if it starts with a booster connected.

It sounds like a dud battery to me, but it could be your battery terminals haven't got a good enough connection to the leads, as when you attach the booster (i assume) you're clipping onto the leads as well as the battery and this is providing power to the leads.

edit - Did you check the battery voltage while pressing the starter button. Make sure the meter leads are touching the battery posts and not the leads.

No drop in voltage means a bad connection somewhere between either the battery to starter, battery to earth/frame or the frame/engine earth starter. Follow the positive lead from the battery to soleniod to starter checking at each connection with the +lead volt meter (with the -lead on the battery -terminal. If you get to a connection with much lower voltage the the preceding connection then the problem is between the two. If you get battery voltage down to the starter main lead then it must be an earth problem.

If the battery voltage drops donw below 8 or 9 volts then it points to the battery being knackered

Archived