Kawasaki Zxr Engine

Superdunc

I've been offered a Kawasaki zxr engine, this is how it's been described to me and is all the owner knows about it. It's currently fitted to a race car, and the owner has no interest in the engine as he want s to put a car engine back in.

I'm going to look at tomorrow as it's likely to be very cheap, and has a few interesting bits on it, possibly FCRs.

So how do I tell what model the engine is. I'm assuming it's a zxr 750 hjklm, but it could be a zx 7r, zx9r

Over to you, green fingered forum members.

Kawasaki don't change the engine number prefix of the motor if the crankcases remain from the same 'generation' of motor. As such, the H model engine will have a prefix of 'ZX750FE' (the F was the GPX which supplied the base motor for the new zxr in 89).

All J/K/L/M motors were subsequently 'J' generation crankcases - the engine number prefix will be 'ZX750JE' and as such absolute identification of the engine is really down to looking at the internal components. J models are the easiest to identify in this respect as the cams and pistons are lower lift/compression items giving the J it's lower peak (about 98hp) but much stronger midrange and driveability.

The K had higher lift cams and higher compression pistons, which subsequently found their way into the base model L as well as the homologation model M. Flatslides would usually indicate a K or M motor, but the only actual difference mechanically between the K, L and M motors themselves was the (very much sought after) close ratio gearbox. If its a K or M with that box in it it is very much worth a punt and as it is the flatslides are (as long as they arent too worn) very saleable.

Either that or you can buy the thing and build a kickass thunderbike race bike :)

Thank you Dave, that's exactly the info I was after.

I'm not sure if I should be in awe of, or pity your knowledge of all things Kawasaki. :D

A mate used to have a ZX12R engined kit car , could be a 12 ?

As in "awe, that's a shame..."

Geek squad: wouldn't there be a sort of cut off point where the numbers up to zx750jeXXXX-xxx50 equate to one model, then zx750jeXXXX-xxx51 equate to the subsequent one? They'd have made them chronologically, why not number them sequentially too?

Like this (taken from the Haynes big book of fairy stories);

H1 ZX750H-000001
H2 ZX750H-015001
J1 ZX750J-000001
J2 ZX750J-013901
L1 ZX750L-000001
L2 ZX750L-020001
L3 ZX750L-030001
K1 ZX750K-000001
M1 ZX750M-000001
M2 ZX750M-020001

Archived