Does This Look Like Normal Piston Wear?

gsxr renegade

that has not just been taken out of an engine i take it? the wear lines should be vertical, looks like someone has given it a tickle with the scotchbrite

that has not just been taken out of an engine i take it? the wear lines should be vertical, looks like someone has given it a tickle with the scotchbrite

Nah, not from my engine, anyway!

edited to add: To clarify, they're a set from a 2009 CBR1000 that i bought from eBay a while ago for cheap because they came with the later version piston rings that i'll need to cue the oil burning issue in my bike.

I saw sense, and thought there's no point in using used rings for the sake of saving a hundred quid over a new set as they would more than likely ruin the entire engine, so popped them back on eBay.

A feller bought them last week but now wants to return them to me becasue he says the skirts have been rubbed down with something and the pistons are fit for the bin.

A feller bought them last week but now wants to return them to me becasue he says the skirts have been rubbed down with something and the pistons are fit for the bin.

To be fair to him, he's got a point but then I never saw the attraction of second-hand pistons.

To be fair to him, he's got a point but then I never saw the attraction of second-hand pistons.

Yep - perfectly happy to give him a refund on that basis as it's looking like they have been given a rub with something. But just wanted to get an opinion on here as I’ve not seen a used piston out of an engine before so just wanted to check to see if it looked normal.

Why is it a problem if they've been cleaned up ?

See, that's also what i was thinking, why buy used pistons then complain they've been given a rub. I mean, when i had them, there were no score marks in them or anything.

However, as the guy isn't happy, i'll only lose through ebay so may as well just give him a refund.

Archived