Lightweight Batteries

Wildcard

I need a new battery for my 05 zx10r and it seems like a good time to go lightweight. Can anyone recommend me a good one?

I've run one of those Shorai batteries on my road based 1992 blade for the last 2 year with no ill effects.

Most of ready to use batteries is actually made of single cells as the one I sent in second ebay link. Then It's the number of the cells that affect total capacity.

4 cells will start the engine in perfect conditions. The main issue is that LiFePo don't output maximium current when cold. If it's not summer then You may be irritated by starting difficulties. Thats the main reason why You should have bigger battery. 8cells is the most popular set but still issue remains below ca.10-15 celcius. With 12cells it would be better but heavier and more expensive. Me like most live with 8 cells. The procedure for cold weather start is that You hold start button even when there's no power to crank, but it heats the battery up. Then after some 10seconds You repeat and engine starts. It works even at serious freeze temps but with multiple attempts. Shorai works better for road bikes as many would tell You but the reason for it is becouse they're just bigger/heavier/dearer.

Most of ready to use batteries is actually made of single cells as the one I sent in second ebay link. Then It's the number of the cells that affect total capacity.

4 cells will start the engine in perfect conditions. The main issue is that LiFePo don't output maximium current when cold. If it's not summer then You may be irritated by starting difficulties. Thats the main reason why You should have bigger battery. 8cells is the most popular set but still issue remains below ca.10-15 celcius. With 12cells it would be better but heavier and more expensive. Me like most live with 8 cells. The procedure for cold weather start is that You hold start button even when there's no power to crank, but it heats the battery up. Then after some 10seconds You repeat and engine starts. It works even at serious freeze temps but with multiple attempts. Shorai works better for road bikes as many would tell You but the reason for it is becouse they're just bigger/heavier/dearer.

^ This is true.

I am running one of these on a zx9r:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lithium-Ion-Battery-Ytx9-Bs-Qingqi-Qm125gy-2B-Bsd-125-DD-Enduro-Liger-/231380096274?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item35df541512

It cranks over more slowly in winter - but still starts the bike. Used it for six months without any issues.

Shorai all the way. I tried 2 'Racing batteries' on my zx10r race bike and they were useless and expensive. Sent them back and tried a Shorai from www.carrotcycles.co.uk and they work brilliantly.

Been running them for 3 years now and never had a single problem. I now run them on all my race bikes, so does Farquar and a fair few others. They are great quality and the service is spot on

You can charge them on an old skool car battery charger or a special Shorai unit, just not optimate style pulse chargers... and never short them out as it kills them!

In the cold they take a little 'warming up' so they seem sluggish if it's lower than about 5 degrees but they are actually fully charged, just need to wake the cells up or something

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for the Shorai tried and tested and no probs to report

Was looking into 12 cell ballistic for the st4 project as nice and compact and very small but have yet seen any comments on them

Archived