Dinosaur Oil

Jenny Pryde

Been doing some work on my old man's ancient Triumph, to give him something to look forward to, once he undergoes an imminent operation.

It is now running and I want to change the oil and clean the filters.

Back in the day, Triumph recommended:

SAE 40, engine oil

SAE 20, primary chaincase

SAE 50, gearbox

Can I use a 20/50 multigrade for everything or must I seek out some of these lubricants that come in self addressed envelopes?

Been doing some work on my old man's ancient Triumph, to give him something to look forward to, once he undergoes an imminent operation.

It is now running and I want to change the oil and clean the filters.

Back in the day, Triumph recommended:

SAE 40, engine oil

SAE 20, primary chaincase

SAE 50, gearbox

Can I use a 20/50 multigrade for everything or must I seek out some of these lubricants that come in self addressed envelopes?

I have been trying Comma Classic 20/50 in my '68 Triumph 650. It's fine for the engine and gearbox, but the wet clutch is slipping like crazy, even with new friction plates. I am now unsure if the designed-for-old-cars Comma oil might contain a friction modifier which is causing the clutch slip. Some folk recommend automatic transmission fluid in the the primary case (providing you don't have a '70-onwards bike which breathes via the primary, therefore sharing engine oil with the primary oil). I'm going to try it next week, so if you can wait that long I'll let you know how I get on. I have also been told that EP gearbox oils are bad for the bronze bushes, and sure enough something ate my bronze selector forks when I was running EP80 oil.

Ed

You want thick tar if you are attempting to keep it on the inside of the engine.

It was rebuilt a few years back and seems to be the oil-tight exception to the stereotype. Thanks for the tip anyway. Much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

When it was rebuilt, was the sludge-trap in the crank cleaned out? If everything inside was cleaned/renewed, 20/50 is spot on for the engine, I'd even use it in the primary, or ATF. The only issue with putting modern multigrades in them is if the sludge-trap is full of, yep, sludge. Apparently, modern oil detergents can break down the sludge over time, and and block up the important bits.

Triumph boxes generally run needle rollers so, I'm pretty sure you'll get away with an EP90 (we've been using it in our pre-unit and unit twins for years). I did try SAE150 in a Speedtwin gearbox once to get rid of an annoying crunch, worked a treat until winter when it would take a few minutes to warm before you could get it into second. Ah, those were the days.

I've been using EP90 in my BSA box for years too, which is full of phosphor bronze, and never had an issue... as yet.

Archived