Minimum Rear Disc And Caliper Requirements

GSXR814

In the past a mate of mine raced a GSXR1000 K2

He is a bit oldschool and as such rarely used the rear brake so he made an adaptor and ran a Hope mountain bike rear disc and cnc caliper.

This setup always passed scruttineering fine as it stopped the wheel turning(not sure how it would have fared when used in anger)

So my question is, if i fitted a 4 pot Hope brake caliper and 180/200mm rotor what are the chances of it passing an MOT?

In my head its probably not a great idea but by my reckoning would save about 3kg :bow:

Nice idea and it would possibly still work for racing if it could stop the back wheel from turning (depending on how lenient the scrutineer is).

I don't think it would pass an MOT though, the test for that is a braking efficiency test and it probably wouldn't be up to the job. It would be pretty useless as a brake too when it's called into action at 100mph on a motorbike!

A bit naughty but you could always have an 'MOT' brake, which would be the standard set up, then once it's passed swap it for your mountain bike one for the rest of the year. But of course I didn't say that and would never condone such behaviour :eusa_whistle:

Don't be an idiot.

The weight of a road bike isn't really critical because the legal speed limit / road condition / traffic is the limiting factor and a rear brake is a useful thing to have. You can fit a light motorbike set up but they're expensive for what they are, spend it on suspension, better front brakes, lighter wheels ....

Piaggio typhoon 50 front brake calipers are quite handy for this sort if thing and have the advantage of still being able to slow a motorcycle down ok. The MTB brake/disc thing would be a total waste of time on a road bike unless you're short of Bike Meet Top Trumps points.

Although I would want the bike 'road legal' i doubt it will see the road that often.

I live 10 mins form Pembrey Race Circuit so the plan was to bimble down, do a few sessions and ride home, with the option of trailering it home if it dies/i throw it up the road.

I've got a Hope DH4 caliper languishing on my Dirtworks downhill bike

In my head i could use the standard master cylinder as Hope stuff uses ordinary brake fluid rather than Shimano which uses vegetable oil or some such

Only problem i could see was that the hoses and fitting would be different diametres, but it shouldn't be too difficult to over come?

I might offer it up and see how much work will be involved.

On a side note i think i have a piaggio NRG front caliper down the shed as a plan B

I never use the rear brake on track so made an aluminium rear disc,know a few that do,saves quite a bit of weight.

I used an ally rear disc on my RS, it only weighed 115g!

And I sincerely hope than none of you ever suffer front brake failure on track.

Having the option of kicking the rear out sideways and laying the bike flat in the gravel is infinately preferable to mowing down an innocent.

IMHFO

Archived