Brake Disc Bobbins

Kermit

Good evening all,

How loose, or tight should brake disc bobbins be? Perhaps a better question is how much movement should there be with the disc?

The discs on the Triumph TT600 seem to be looser than I would imagine they'd be, but then the wheel is out of the forks and there's no pressure on the discs from the pads and calipers.

There's movement side to side and a little for and aft (rotational)

Is it time to start saving for some new discs?

Thanks

Kermit

There shouldn't be forward / backward movement side to side is OK.

The bobbins are less likely to have have worn than the carriers and of that's the case then its probably time for new discs.

I'd put it back together and ask your MOT station what they think before you spend out though, they should be able to put the bike on their rollers and measure the movement

Blackshadow did my galfer/braking discs on my sv.

Posted them on a Thursday. Got them back on the following Saturday. Fixed.

My front discs have quite a lot of movement on the bobbins, both side to side and forwards/backwards. They have just passed an MOT like this and work fine on road and track. They also just checked and signed off as healthy by Aprilia Performance.

Spend your money on coke and hookers instead, Clive.

If you have fore / aft movement on your carriers then you should feel this under braking - I certainly did on the set that I'm about to send away to be rebuilt.

I suppose it depends on how hard you brake and how bad they feel for the individual?

On track I can feel it the split second I grab the lever, then fine. On the road it's fine.

That's how mine started out - I could only feel the issue under hard braking at first but they got worse over time. Hopefully a set of bobbins will cure them.

Archived