Regulator/rectifiers

Hendo

Whats them all about then?

My brothers 1996 CBR600 has just needed a new one, and as Im thinking of doing another Euro tour next year Im thinking of changing the one on mine before it causes problems.

I believe a Yamaha R1/R6 one is the way to go?

The OEM one currently fitted has 3 yellow wires, 1 red and 1 green wire. Is it just simply a case of finding another 5 pin type?

Ta.

Thanks for the link, but they are a bit pricey for my liking.

Ebay seems to have loads of yamaha ones ranging from £12 china specials to £40 used OEM ones.

I would think a good used OEM one would be the way forward, I just need someone who knows what they are doing to confirm it will work.

When my brothers R/R packed up it created all manner of problems, something I want to avoid.

Mine packed up a while back. At night, on unlit roads, of course. Marcaztls recommended a TourMax. I've had no bother since.

As far as I know; China is NOT the place to be buying rectifiers from.

In fact if they were for nowt,I would still abstain.

65 quid??

imo don't be a pikey with your regrec. oe, or a high quality aftermarket one. why do you want to replace it anyway? to avoid being stuck in the pissing rain on the side of the motorway with a fucked regrec and melted battery. sight cheaper than being recovered home from europe

re a second hand oe one, fit it and measure the volts at the battery whilst revving the tits off the motor. the volts should read whatever the geniune workshop manual says. you have one of course! ;)

A mosfet one is what you want, regardless of what bike it came off, so long it's of a similar size to yours so it can handle charging after starting OK. The 5 cables you've got are 3 off the generator, each dealing with a phase, then a positive & negative. The negative can just go to your frame or something, providing it's all properly earthed to your battery anyway, which it should be. The 3 phases can go any way round in relation to each other, then obviously, there's one that goes to your battery to charge it.

I had an R1 regrec on my triumph when I bought it but it hadn't quite got the right plugs on there, they were really similar looking ones but the connections were intermittant, I guess a cheap knock-off of the plugs that yamaha would've fitted, which resulted in the exact same problem as it was supposed to cure: not charging. My advice is that if you're touring europe, a holiday that'll cost in well into 4 figures I'd have thought, on a bike that also cost you well into 4 figures, I'd spend £60 on a part that you know won't leave you stranded on bandit country, halfway up an Albanian mountain pass. Buy cheap, buy twice. You might be able to find a 2nd hand one off a late model honda that goes straight on, some blades & cbr6rr's have mosfets, but you need to do your research, make sure you're getting the right one via the part number on the unit itself. Mosfet is essential as it deals with the actual internal construction of the regulator, and won't heat up nearly as much as an older design would, which is what causes them to burn out.

With regards testing yours, as Jamie says, rev the bike up while measuring across your battery. It should start just above the voltage that your bike had when it was switched off. Then, as you rev it up, it should climb up to about 14.5v or so, then flatten off and go no higher, no matter how high you rev it.

Very interesting read that, thank you.

As far as I know; China is NOT the place to be buying rectifiers from.

In fact if they were for nowt,I would still abstain.

Pretty much what I was thinking, I think a good used one would be the way to go.

65 quid??

imo don't be a pikey with your regrec. oe, or a high quality aftermarket one. why do you want to replace it anyway? to avoid being stuck in the pissing rain on the side of the motorway with a fucked regrec and melted battery. sight cheaper than being recovered home from europe

re a second hand oe one, fit it and measure the volts at the battery whilst revving the tits off the motor. the volts should read whatever the geniune workshop manual says. you have one of course! ;)

Consider it preventative maintenence. I have a workshop manual, the bike is currently running great.

A mosfet one is what you want, regardless of what bike it came off, so long it's of a similar size to yours so it can handle charging after starting OK. The 5 cables you've got are 3 off the generator, each dealing with a phase, then a positive & negative. The negative can just go to your frame or something, providing it's all properly earthed to your battery anyway, which it should be. The 3 phases can go any way round in relation to each other, then obviously, there's one that goes to your battery to charge it.

I had an R1 regrec on my triumph when I bought it but it hadn't quite got the right plugs on there, they were really similar looking ones but the connections were intermittant, I guess a cheap knock-off of the plugs that yamaha would've fitted, which resulted in the exact same problem as it was supposed to cure: not charging. My advice is that if you're touring europe, a holiday that'll cost in well into 4 figures I'd have thought, on a bike that also cost you well into 4 figures, I'd spend £60 on a part that you know won't leave you stranded on bandit country, halfway up an Albanian mountain pass. Buy cheap, buy twice. You might be able to find a 2nd hand one off a late model honda that goes straight on, some blades & cbr6rr's have mosfets, but you need to do your research, make sure you're getting the right one via the part number on the unit itself. Mosfet is essential as it deals with the actual internal construction of the regulator, and won't heat up nearly as much as an older design would, which is what causes them to burn out.

With regards testing yours, as Jamie says, rev the bike up while measuring across your battery. It should start just above the voltage that your bike had when it was switched off. Then, as you rev it up, it should climb up to about 14.5v or so, then flatten off and go no higher, no matter how high you rev it.

Ive managed to find a Mosfet one off an R1 for not much money, problem seems to be finding the correct plugs to fit that dont cost a fortune.

I'm really struggling to justify buying a brand spanker when its probably going to be 1/12th of the value (probably :biggrinvk4: ) of the whole bike.

Even the older type R1 R/R, has anyone ever seen or had one fail? Its bound to be better than the current OEM Honda one thats fitted, that lets face it, is a ticking time bomb the way people talk about them.

Ive done the mosfet conversion on a few bikes that have had reg rec problems, indeed the Shindengen MOSFET ones are the ones to get, ive managed to source some off later triumph 675s less than a year old for less than £40. Coupled with this very handy lead from Triumph which has both connectors for the reg/rec for less than a tenner!! Ive priced these plugs up individually and they are expensive! So how triumph do it for the ££ im not sure.

http://www.worldoftriumph.com/product.php/42581/link_lead__regulator

And this is the only source of the very high quality metri-pack fuse holder i could find outside the US.

http://kojaycat.co.uk/Page-/-Category-1/630-Series-46-Amps/Fuse-Holder

Managed to bag myself one off a 5PW R1 for £27.50. Seller has confirmed the numbers stamped on it, and its a mosfet one.

Will get some of them leads from the Triumph website to do the conversion.

Thanks to all who helped, on here and via PM, especially with the articles.

So for anyones reference, thinking of doing this same mod.

OEM CBR item vs R1 item -

11_zps28adb7b4.jpg

Markings -

photo12_zps2aa2aac3.jpg

Fits a treat, only required the bottom hole drilling on the plate of the bike -

photo2_zpsef5439b0.jpg

photo1_zpsfb445ac4.jpg

Rock solid voltage no matter what the RPM -

photo4_zps8ce109cf.jpg

Didnt bother with the Triumph fly leads in the end. No doubt it would be better with sealed connectors but the original Honda connectors are not sealed so I can live with that - I put plenty of dialectric grease on the terminals.

Grant total £28.50. I spent a quid on thermal conducting backing paste for a bit more re-assurance. From what I can gather though this shouldn't really get hot at all.

Ive also put new points in the fuel pump, all suspension related bearings have been regreased, shock is away at MCT, forks will be getting re-done next. Im going to put some real Euro miles on this baby next year :rock:

Thanks for the help people.

^ See... that is because it was posted in the workshop section.

Misbehave in here and you will be sent to stand in the corner where the welding section is and be unmercifully burnt by sparks and spatter.

Uncouthness and frivolity is the reserve of the general section......... it's where I'm off to now !

^ See... that is because it was posted in the workshop section.

Misbehave in here and you will be sent to stand in the corner where the welding section is and be unmercifully burnt by sparks and spatter.

Uncouthness and frivolity is the reserve of the general section......... it's where I'm off to now !

Better not read my posts tonight then

Archived