New Lines Calipers And Radial M/c Bleeding

28hodge

I have had to walk away from it this afternoon mainly as the air was a funny shade of blue!

I've put new lines radial M/C and calipers onto my bike.

Fluid into the reservoir and then primed the m/c by pumping the lever then releasing the lever whilst I have my finger over the banjo hole, so that the m/c will draw fluid into itself from the reservoir.

Then bolted everything up and cracked the banjo on a caliper and began bleeding the brakes waiting for the fluid to appear, this as far as I got.

I can't get any fluid to flow at all, pumping the lever and it has no resistance and it's not drawing any fluid out of the reservoir. The level never changes in the reservoir.

I've cracked the banjo on the m/c and the hel radial brake line converter and seem to have fluid here but it's only a dribble.

Tapped the lines m/c calipers everything I can't get any air out or fluid round the system. I've tried to prime the system from the top using the bleed nipple on the m/c with a syringe, not really happening.

I've always bled brakes in minutes and never understood how people could get stuck bleeding them but I can't get any progress with this at all and it's doing my tits in. Am I missing something basic?

Have you wound the lever adjuster so your getting the maximum stroke available.

Then try and bleed the nipple on the cylinder.

You should ( as you know) be able to bleed the master cylinder first.

OEM levers normally have a grove to weaken it near the outer end. I suspect the push rod that goes into the master cylinder is to long or binding up.

Have you wound the lever adjuster so your getting the maximum stroke available.

Then try and bleed the nipple on the cylinder.

You should ( as you know) be able to bleed the master cylinder first.

No I'll have a play tomorrow and see if that helps, when I first crack a bleed nipple I get air but then pulling the lever and cracking the bleed nipple again yields nothing, it's the fact that I can't get any fluid to draw out of the reservoir into the system.

With all the nipples closed and the reservoir top off, can you gently squeeze the lever and look for air bubbles or trapped air in the reservoir. You need to get the air between the master cylinder and the rest out, changing the angle of the cyl can help and so can using a needle to help the bubble out.

Once you start to get bubbles in the res keep repeating until it fills up, you'll feel the lever fim up a little. Once that happens bleed the master cyl nipple then the calipers in the usual way. Sometimes it helps to raise the calipers above the master - put a spanner between the pads

Sorted, not sure what was going in yesterday. Bled the m/c up today after using a syringe to pump sum fluid into the calipers and lines from the caliper bleed nipples. Lever started to come too so bled the left caliper and then the right, no air in those bled the m/c again little bit of air, but the lever still wasn't solid.

So I took the m/c off the bars and tipped and rotated it and played the think like a bubble game, then beld the m/c again, then did the same with the calipers removed them rotated them tapped and wiggled everything bled everything and the lever was a little better but I still think it's ever so slightly spongey. .

Thanks for the tips and pointers though guys.

http://www.mityvac.com/pages/products_bcbe.asp

Never have any problems bleeding brakes or clutches using my mityvac...

Yep. The amount of times I see people on here struggling with brakes, people telling me that all that's needed is a syringe and some patience. I bought a mityvac about 8 years back and since then it's never taken me in excess of 10 minutes to bleed up any set of brakes, ever. Great investment.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the one at the top, the little squeezey gun type one, and although the hoses have gone a bit hard over time and could do with being replaced, it's years old and will keep on going for yonks.

I've never failed with a syringe (big one from fish tackle shop) but I use it to pull fluid from the res to the caliper via the calipers bleed nipple. A few manual pumps after that and the jobs a goodn.

I've never failed with a syringe (big one from fish tackle shop).

What's that for, injecting fish or injecting bodies of water? How odd.

I actually have an image of a huge syringe, about the size of a phone box, and you suck whole fish up in it as they swim past. It'd be awesome.

Archived