Honda Fireblade Hot Hot!

YAMMAFAN

So I decided to fit a nice new Quill exhaust to my RR5 Blade and I’m well impressed with the results. It’s been installed for about 4 months now, and recently the bike has started to run a bit hot. At 70mph with an air temp of 15°C, engine temp is about 85°C. Problem is sat in traffic, engine temp goes up, fan comes on but it can’t cool the engine enough to get below 100°C. During the summer months with air temps of 20-25, the engine would run at 90 and would overheat if sat in traffic.

Just wondering if anyone has had similar issues with aftermarket exhausts or if it’s just a coincidence? Coolant level is ok, can’t see any leaks, radiator fins are in good condition and baffle is in the exhaust.

Ta

I'll give it a flush tomorrow and see if things improve.

Am I right in thinking if the thermostat fails it would either take ages to heat up (failed open) or not be able to cool down at all (failed closed)??

Sounds totally normal to me. I've an RR8 one and those are the temps it runs at.

Highest I've seen is 109 on the dash while stuck in traffic on a hot day slowly filtering and getting caught at lights etc.

Normally stays around 75-80 I think.

Had the 929,and that ran on the hot side in traffic.above 100 was not unusual,and when running at decent pace it seldom came below 88 centigrade.Think it's more annoying than dangerous TBH.

On a totally different bike (a vfr 800), I stuck a different exhaust without adjusting the fuelling and it ran a bit hotter but struggled to cope once I got sat in traffic. Once the fuelling had been sorted it ran slightly cooler when out & about but was much better once it started getting warm.

I wasn't overly concerned with the running temp being higher (even though i find it annoying!) but it's the fact in summer the bike got over 120 degrees, warning light came on and I had to pull over. For a road legal exhaust would the ecu not correct the fuelling? I can't imagine gas flow is that much different?

The exhaust could well make the engine run leaner and warmer. Just because the exhaust is road legal, it doesn't mean the ECU will be able trim the mixture back to the correct levels.

It worth while check everything in the cooling system is 100% first though.

My stock 954 would sit in the 80 degree region when rolling and would go anywhere from 90 to 103 at the traffic lights or very slow traffic depending on the circumstances.

As well as giiving the rad a flush check that the fins aren't gunged up with anything and that air can pass through easily.

Doesn't matter you've done it. :unsure:

Are you sure the fan is coming on? One of my old R1's used to overheat if stuck in traffic and i managed to trace it back to a faulty fan switch (it invloved some sort of test invloving bridging 2 wires on the thermostat to see if the fan came on) and ended up just putting a manual fan switch in so i could turn the fan on and off when i wanted.

Might be an easier (and cheaper) start than flushing the rad straight away.

I wasn't overly concerned with the running temp being higher (even though i find it annoying!) but it's the fact in summer the bike got over 120 degrees, warning light came on and I had to pull over. For a road legal exhaust would the ecu not correct the fuelling? I can't imagine gas flow is that much different?

I'm not aware that the Honda uses a system (open loop) that will automatically adjust the fueling.

The lambda probe / ECU will only adjust within set boundaries (with the expectation that the OE exhaust is fitted).

As has been mentioned, you might well expect that a freer flowing exhaust may have the engine running leaner (more air, than fuel), which would result in the engine running hotter.

How long would it take to you swap it back and try the OE system again?

Engine coolant flush sounds like a good place to start, but try firing the bike up from cold (panels off) and check the temperature of the coolant that's going to the radiator. Just by touching your hand against one of the flex coolant pipes, should give you a fair idea of how quickly the engine's warming up and whether the coolant if flowing to the radiator.

Never going to be any harm in flashing the system and putting in fresh coolant anyways.

Fingers-crossed.

Full service should make it better. My Duke was running hot +100c in april before a big service (valve clearences, coolant, oil) It's a lot better since then and doesn't get so hot so easily. It will still climb to 106 for the fans to cut in in traffic but it also loses the heat much quicker now.

Archived