Updating To 17" Wheels On An 86 Vfr

Mahatma

Hi.Am considering following my own advice here and get an '86 VFR 750,and wonder how hard it is to update the wheels to 17 inch.Looking at a CBR 600 f early 90's front wheel and a VFR 89 rear wheel which states on the net is compatible.Anyone here knows if it is just plug onto the '86 VFR brakediscs to the new wheels and it's a straight swap,or do one have to do some minor/major adjustments for them to work?

Anyone with experience about Race tech's gold valve rebound emulators for the forks is worth the upgrade?

Thanks in advance:)

Rear wheel is a straight swap,

but will lower ride height marginally (the later bikes had a different linkage / shock),

In my opinion it's already a rear heavy bike without dropping the back half an inch.

For the front, you may aswell get a complete front end off a later VFR750 or early cbr600, you will then have the benefit of bigger forks.

It's not a big job and saves any wondering about how calipers / disks & wheels / spacers interact.

Alternatively, Avon do very good rubber for your existing 16"/18" combo for either road or track.

You CAN fit a 150 section on the 18" rear, handles better for it too.

I have a 120 section on the front for the 16", which is lovely,

But may not be strictly legit for road use as it is on(/past) the limit of what's supposed to fit the rim.

These tyres as a combo work very well and balance the bike out whilst alleviating (a bit) ground clearance issues on extreme lean.

You can even get a fork brace for the earlier bikes.

Mine:

10298391_653326244750342_374026489108134

10336622_671735756207559_452459063160142

/ photo whore

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Vfiend,fantastic piece of leathers in the bottom pick :) Another question:Would it be relatively safe to buy a VFR 86 or 87 model with alittle over 60k miles on the clock?

Archived