Peugeot Scooter Ignition Question....no Laughing!

exuprob

Ive got a few, older Peugeot Speedfight 50 and 100cc scooters and one of them is playing up.

A standard problem with these is that the teenage, gibbon owners tend to try and fiddle with the variators to derestrict them but manage to crossthread the 14mm nut the fixs it to the crank which results in an engine strip.

Ive just got another 100cc Speedfight with this problem but I had a known good 100cc motor (from a Vivacity) ready to go in, I fitted it and then checked fuel (yep, all good) and ignition (big fat blue spark) but it wont fire on the electric starter, kicks back as though the firing order is wrong but will start on the kick start but wont rev up and feels like the ignition is massively retarded.

Ignition is non adjustable so cant tweak there. Any ideas?????

You guys....

Ive still got my R1 but love messing about on these plus its great fun bouncing around on these, hanging onto every mph, not being able to stop cos the brakes are shite, scraping the centre stand away and all at under 60mph!

I did peak at 7 Speedfights in the garage but now have it down to a more manageable 4.......Ill get my coat.

Did you swap the stator and the flywheel off a known good one !

Bloody hell...some sensible responses! :biggrinvk4:

Willbloke, the replacement Vivacity engine was a good runner when I removed it so havent touched it at all. The Speedfight was a standard bike too so simply plugged in the two leads, one to starter other to stator. It just feels like the ignition is retarded ie very slow to rev when it starts.

Ill try the usual suspects, coil etc but it has a fat blue spark and the ignition timing isnt adjustable.

Just odd.

Ok, I think it maybe the cdi playing up. Ive just ordered a non immobilized cdi and it lists the same item for the Speedfight 50cc and 100cc plus Vivacity 50's and 100's so Ill give that a go.

Just from experience the early DT175MX and the later one which had the oiltank swapped over , but all the ignition looked the same , flywheel stator etc. but the magnet on the flywheel was in a different place and the pickup was in a different place , if you accidently mixed them up it would kickback like a bastard but sometimes barely run , swapped the flywheel , started first time and ran like a champ.

Just wondered if you maybe got bits mixed up during the swap IYSWIM ?!

Or as someone else mentioned , the flywheel has sheared the woodruff key and slipped a bit ?

Willbloke wins!!

I had a proper go at it yesterday and thought I might swap the stator with a spare I had knocking about plus I also found my flywheel puller so whipped it off and the stator was very second hand although they all tend to look like that!

Swapped it over along with another flywheel and it fired straight up. I then lobbed the brand new bodywork on it and its now ready for its MOT....first one since 2006 according to the tax disc!!

I actually thought I'd get more grief over this, maybe you lot are mellowing :)

Big thanks.

Archived