R1 4Xv Question Time

kwakkwak6

Having spent alot of time on kawasaki bikes i have decided to try a r1 4xv for my new race bike.

however i have a few questions.

1: upon taking the coils off to fit a quickshifter i noticed two angled pipes coming out of the carb breather system, now these are just venting to atmosphere. is this right?

2: i have been told that fitting a set of yokes from a 5pw model will improve handling? can anyone explain in further detail as im assuming it changes the offset slightly to balance out the bike.

3:it has ebc brake pads and i have upgraded the master cylinder but the brakes still feel a bit wooden, any recommendations on brake pads? i was going to go with bendex as i have used them before but im always open to ideas.

thanks

My best efforts coming up.

1. Not sure without seeing.

2. Yes or the yokes from a 5vy. I have done this and the reduced distance between the centre of the steerer and the centre of the forks makes the bike hold a better line while on its ribs.

3. Strip and rebuild your calipers. Sbs dual carbon are amazing but take time to heat up and do not work before this. The bluespots should be good not wooden.

Having spent alot of time on kawasaki bikes i have decided to try a r1 4xv for my new race bike.

however i have a few questions.

1: upon taking the coils off to fit a quickshifter i noticed two angled pipes coming out of the carb breather system, now these are just venting to atmosphere. is this right?

2: i have been told that fitting a set of yokes from a 5pw model will improve handling? can anyone explain in further detail as im assuming it changes the offset slightly to balance out the bike.

3:it has ebc brake pads and i have upgraded the master cylinder but the brakes still feel a bit wooden, any recommendations on brake pads? i was going to go with bendex as i have used them before but im always open to ideas.

thanks

1. now I know the pipes you were referring to in your PM. yes, as Adam says, they are just breather / vent pipes.

on my 4xv there was a rubber tube attached to each, that routed across to the CCT bracket, the loose ends plugged into a couple of stubs on that (and regularly came undone, IIRC)

2. I put some 5pw (02/03) model yokes on mine, a good improvement. I re-used my 4xv forks, wheel, discs, mudguard etc.

http://pbmagforum.co.uk/index.php?/topic/28899-swapping-r1-yokes/

3. I ran SBS 'street excel' pads in mine but that was road and track. OEM m/c but regularly cleaned calipers, the brakes were exceptionally ossum.

If you can't get 5pw yokes and want 25mm offset then 4c8 yokes go on using the 4c8 lower bearing and race, the upper bearing is the same :)

As well as pads, maybe look at a set if new discs too, bet yours have seen some use! New discs make a world of difference.

the bike has only done 10,000 km german import (de-restricted) dont get me wrong the calipers work and the disks are virtually brand new but they are just different to what i expected if im honest.

on the 7/9 i run nissin 4 pots and i get plenty of feel but these seem to be a little lacking, im sure its the pads.

as for the breathers i thought as much.

and the yokes ill be thinking about after this weekend, ill see if a stiffer tyre gives me a bit more feel at the front end and work from there .

cheers for the reply s

there is one last question though . does anyone have a colour wiring diagram for one of these, i need to know what wires do what on the speedo circuit.

Archived