'99 4Xv Gear Selection Problems...

DesmoEddy

OK, early this morning I did ride in a north-westerly direction in...ahem...a spirited manner on me '99 4XV R1, innit. The front wheel may have lost contact with the tarmac on several occasions, being as the the "roads" where I do reside are more suited to a supermoto than a 130-odd hp, carburated, lightweight(ish) sportsbike.

About halfway into the 20 mile trip to work I did lose the ability to reliably select gears, finding more neutrals than a Swiss bankers convention circa 1942. On arriving at the staff car park I did locate the correct neutral position, but on attempting to select 1st or 2nd gears and easing the clutch out to check the 'box found neutral again as evidenced by lack of forward motion and the green neutral indicator light.

Question - is this a two quid tension spring on the detent arm, or have I busted a selector fork (or two)?

Ed

I'd certainly be checking the detent spring first. In fact replace it anyways. Even if its not that, it's old and worn.

I'd certainly be checking the detent spring first. In fact replace it anyways. Even if its not that, it's old and worn.

Right-o, Bob. Two quid spring on order from Flitwick M/Cs by first class post. Top geezers.

Ed (pleaseletitbethespring, pleaseletitbethespring, repeat to fade...)

I'm going back a few years but I seem to remember the detent spring was changed as an update.I used to have problems with the metal plate it attaches to.There's a metal tang that should be 90 degrees but bent and made gear changes a mare,The replacement was about £50.Sorry for being vague but I'm thinking back a few years.

I'm going back a few years but I seem to remember the detent spring was changed as an update.I used to have problems with the metal plate it attaches to.There's a metal tang that should be 90 degrees but bent and made gear changes a mare,The replacement was about £50.Sorry for being vague but I'm thinking back a few years.

That figures - the part number of the spring Flitwick are sending is later/newer than the original p/n from the '99 4XV parts book...maybe a revised part?

Ed

Spring arrived. Sprocket cover, gear linkage and gear shift shaft cover removed.

15191242752_220f0e61d6_z.jpg

Broken spring sitting uselessly at the bottom of the pic. New detent tension spring fitted. Just for clarity, this spring provides tension to the jockey wheel visible towards the top right of the pic. This jockey wheel bears onto the seven cut-outs machined into the end of the selector drum (seven = 1-N-2-3-4-5-6) providing the location to the shift drum (and therefore the selector forks) for each gear. The spring which returns the gearshift to the central position between shifts is visible above as the two brown-ish tangs you can see towards the top-left of the pic or in the pic below encircling the shift shaft.

15168596796_63b4bc1da3_z.jpg

part number 11 in the diagram below.

15006655960_b3181b2015_z.jpg

Yup - rode it the 20-ish miles to work this morning and it seems to shift better then before (although 1st-2nd seems to be clunky on all R1s according to reports). Thanks to all who commented.

Ed

If it helps other forumites, Yamahaha have never resolved this issue with the detent spring retainer tags distorting or indeed snapping off.

Been stood in the paddock at numerous WEC rounds with other competitors turning up with this component (10 in drawing) in their hands, asking if we'd got a spare.

Don't remember this occurring on cross-plane crank ones, it would be crankshafts that were causing more issues and by this point everyone would have draws full of the shift-shafts.

If it helps other forumites, Yamahaha have never resolved this issue with the detent spring retainer tags distorting or indeed snapping off.

Been stood in the paddock at numerous WEC rounds with other competitors turning up with this component (10 in drawing) in their hands, asking if we'd got a spare.

Don't remember this occurring on cross-plane crank ones, it would be crankshafts that were causing more issues and by this point everyone would have draws full of the shift-shafts.

I may not have used the correct term; it was the tension spring part no 25 in the exploded view which had failed. This hooks onto a drilled tab on part 2 (which I referred to as the detent arm). Sorry for any confusion.

Ed

Archived