Straightening Forks

28hodge

I'm looking at a fork upgrade on my nc30 race bike, I've found a set that will work etc etc

Only thing is they are possibly bent, they have been in a crash and the lowers (where the caliper bolts on not the stanchion) are scuffed, the guy says that one leg shows sign of being bent, but the pics make them look straight, certainly not obviously bent but pictures can't be trusted.

Is there anyway/technique that I can do to see if they are bent without stripping them?

Also if they are bent is it sensible to send them to motoliner and have them straightened then use them for racing? Or should I stump up and keep searching for a straight set?

An easy way to check is to hold the fork lower on table/floor and rotate the stanchion, watch the fork top while doing this to look for any runout straight forks have none.(for USD forks hold the upper and rotate the stanchion/brake mount.)

As long as the fork slider isn't crinkled/wavy it can be straightened by pressing it in v-blocks.

I refuse to believe that only one leg out of a pair will be bent.

In a previous incarnation i worked in a bike breakers '79-83 maybe, i have seen loads of forks with only one leg bent!

maybe most yokes were made of chocolate back then.............

I can get most new stanchion's for £60-£70 plus post each depemding on make & model.. So keep this in mind.

(Not TIN or DLC as these are more)

Pm me if you want a quote.

Thing I'm thinking is even if I buy a claimed "straight" set. I'm still going to have to send them off to have them checked, so I might as well buy the cheap bent set and have them checked and straightened, but only if this isn't going to have a structural implication.

I can get most new stanchion's for £60-£70 plus post each depemding on make & model.. So keep this in mind.

(Not TIN or DLC as these are more)

Pm me if you want a quote.

You have pm incoming

Just bear in mind buying a bent pair can slowly build up to being very expensive !

I bought a pair of GSXR1000 BPF's which will one day grace the front of my SRAD, they were sold as being low mileage, aestheically good, just bent. As I got them for about £50 on ebay I figured I had nothing to lose and had them sent straight to MCT to be assessed, repaired resprung etc.

The initial diagnosis was both sliders bent and one of the upper sections too so off they went for straightening. When they came back they were straight but one of the sliders had deformed slightly and had tiny ripples in the chromed surface, as this would mean oil leaking past it needed replacing.

Once all that had been done and they had been serviced and sprung / set up for my weight on an SRAD the bill was quite substantial !

Though obviously, on the plus side they are now as good as new, I just wish I wasnt too skint to sort the rest of the stuff I need to fit them and too busy to find the time :(

Jon

This is what I am trying to weigh up, the forks are cheap, but not when you then consider they need to go to motoliner to be checked/straightened at another £159, and they may need parts in addition to that, the rebuild and set up costs are always gonna be there if I buy a straight or bent pair as the bike they are from and the bike they are going on aren't really that similar.

Biggest problem is I can't find a straight set anywhere at the minute so I have few options other than to either wait or take a punt!

At the min I am leaning towards wait and keep collecting the other bits I need like clip ons mudguard 108mm calipers yokes etc etc

Fortune favours the brave. Find a seller with good feedback and you can strike it lucky. Bought a set for very little, sent them to Maxton. Straight as the shortest distance between two points, no problems.:-)

Archived