How Much Steering Angle Do I Need?

jezz

Depends on the tightness on corners doesn't it.Why the question?Someone modified a bike to less steering angle?

No I'm building a special.

I have a frame and forks - but the lock stops don't match up, so I'm going to make a lock stop to fit to the frame, but I need to know how much lock on a bike is normal

No I'm building a special.

I have a frame and forks - but the lock stops don't match up, so I'm going to make a lock stop to fit to the frame, but I need to know how much lock on a bike is normal

isnt that dictated by the bars and tank?.

You can get by with less than 20 degrees each way (a Ducati 748/916 with the head angle insert rotated to the steeper setting), but it can be a pain in the arse if you need to use the bike for anything other than bum up/head down mentalness....

Then I'm going out on a limb and say 35+ degrees angle is fine.

You can get by with less than 20 degrees each way (a Ducati 748/916 with the head angle insert rotated to the steeper setting), but it can be a pain in the arse if you need to use the bike for anything other than bum up/head down mentalness....

needs to be road usable

You're letting the tail wag the dog here: Get your bars on, make sure you're happy with where they are, that's the crucial thing, then make lock stops that stop the bars before they hit the tank or the inside of the fairing. By making lock stops before putting bars on, picking an arbitrary angle as it's 'usually about this amount' is the wrong way to do things in my opinion.

Archived