Manifold Studs Thread Lock Yes / No?

crasher76

Threadlock is a no :iconthumbsdownkq8:

A small dab of copper grease (copperslip, coppaslip, etc)

If you're worried about them working loose, then lock-wire for the win B)

I have got copper plated nuts to replace the old rusty ones, i thought manifold studs were designed to stay in place, would coppaslip make them work loose?

Thread lock likes heat if you want to get it undone, so not a lot of point putting it in this area.

Forget studs, fit bolts of the correct length and copper slip so that you can get the bastards out after 10 yrs of neglect.

Ideal is Ti, drilled and lock-wired. Added bonus for fitting a spacer under the flanges that keeps them straight to the head.

Copper Turbo nuts not a bad shout, though you'll find that you'll need to keep nipping them up from time to time. Benefit of a stud is that it will bottom in the thread and you can get them to stay put. Explains why they're a bitch to get out, not only do they corrode down the hole, but all the heat, exposure to the atmosphere and a mix of metals leads to the part of the stud that you fit the nut to getting badly corroded over time. Hence why the fookin things snap for a laugh.

Thread lock likes heat if you want to get it undone, so not a lot of point putting it in this area.

Forget studs, fit bolts of the correct length and copper slip so that you can get the bastards out after 10 yrs of neglect.

Ideal is Ti, drilled and lock-wired. Added bonus for fitting a spacer under the flanges that keeps them straight to the head.

Copper Turbo nuts not a bad shout, though you'll find that you'll need to keep nipping them up from time to time. Benefit of a stud is that it will bottom in the thread and you can get them to stay put. Explains why they're a bitch to get out, not only do they corrode down the hole, but all the heat, exposure to the atmosphere and a mix of metals leads to the part of the stud that you fit the nut to getting badly corroded over time. Hence why the fookin things snap for a laugh.

This, except the Ti willy waving. Titanium is a horrid material for threads, especially in this environment.

Edit: I'm sure Phase One's Titanium exhaust hardware was silver plated. :)

Yeah I've got an Inconol Silver Plating kit that Lidl's had knocking about in the skip at the back of the Bridgewater branch. Could have spent 50p on it at Aldl's, but employing stealth mode made it more appealing. :ph34r:

No you're right, but Ti bolts have a habit of turning up pre-drilled and I likes lock-wire.

Ok in deference to Dunc, fit stainless studs and these.

P1010092_zps64aec842.jpg

Single use only, so make sure that you've got a supply of spares and deep pockets.

Archived