Recommend Me Some Tyre Levers.

Rick448

After spending an age changing my rear tyre this morning i think i need some better levers. I managed to break the bead quite easily but removing the tyre was a nightmare. I am not sure whether the racetecs are especially tight but it made me wish I'd just took it to the shop, but since I've bought some gear i want to persevere. I even tried the cable tie method for refitting and that wouldn't work either... After much sweating and not a little swearing I now have a scrubbed racetec fitted. I also need to buy some more rim protectors. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Cheers guys.

Rick, I just take mine to Bush tyres on Stoneferry Rd (next door to MKM). If you go on a Saturday afternoon they only charge a pint a wheel ! I just bang them a 5 quid a wheel, saves me a load of hassle.

You're a braver man then me tackling changing tyres, looks like a load of hard work to save a tenner ! :icon_salut:

it was easier swapping the engine than changing the bloody tyre. I guess it's just my stubbornness wanting to do it myself. I may have one more go before admitting defeat and selling my gear. The youtube videos make it look easy :(

Tyre changing leaves you just enough time to forget what a ball ache it is remember kids leave it to the pros. And the moment Someone says but the tyre changers are shut can frig off get yourself better organised

I've used these boys, and they're pretty good I think. Basically, size does matter, but not as much as lube. Fucking cover it with the stuff, and if not, a mix of fairy liquid & water helps too. Just trying to wrestle them on/off isn't going to happen, get lots of lube on there and they'll come off much easier.

sounds like your doing one of two things if not both wrong here, not enough or no tyre soap/ soapy lube or your trying to leaver off too much at the one time. Practice makes life easier....

Thanks guys. I have ordered so more levers and will use more tyre soap next time. I did use some but probably not enough when removing the tyre. Part of me wants to try it again to see if I do better next time but part of me thinks I should just pay someone to do it.

Thanks guys. I have ordered so more levers and will use more tyre soap next time. I did use some but probably not enough when removing the tyre. Part of me wants to try it again to see if I do better next time but part of me thinks I should just pay someone to do it.

It does get easier the more you do it. It'll never be as quick as a pro though but I prefer ring able to sort my tyres at my convenience and not have to fanny about ferrying wheels around.

dont know what the prices are like down your neck of the woods but here it costs 40 quid a pop to have a tyre changed, doing my own tyres leaves me with a health saving each year..

I can get them fitted to loose wheels for a tenner each but that means messing about getting them there and at the moment I only have my works car and the missus works in the day using her car. I'm hoping in the end to be able to fit a pair in lass time than it would take to drive across town and back. Though just to not rip lumps of knuckle off would be a good start....

I've recently done my 2nd set of tyres, it took me about 45 minutes, and I sweated heavily, partly because it was a scorching hot day and partly because it's fucking hard work. However, I'd bought £250 worth of tyres for £180, the local garage will only charge a tenner for fitting scrubs but new tyres, like these, they charge £40 a go for. I can do a lot with the price difference and the exercise is probably good for me.

It's all about practice, with a little bit of swearing thrown in. The important thing is standing on the tyre to squish the bead deep into the rim while you lever the first bit over, after that it's plain sailing.

I enjoy changing my own tyres.

Pervert. It's one thing having a sense of self satisfaction, but enjoying it? That's just wrong.

Pervert. It's one thing having a sense of self satisfaction, but enjoying it? That's just wrong.

It is very satisfying when it finally just pops on! Then there's the beading, I can barely control the elation! ;)

It is very satisfying when it finally just pops on! Then there's the beading, I can barely control the elation! ;)

Do you use the that tool for pulling a new valve through? There's something about when that valve pops out and snugly slots home....

Do you use the that tool for pulling a new valve through? There's something about when that valve pops out and snugly slots home....

Yeah I do, that's very satisfying as well! Hmmm pop! :)

Archived