Vito Turbo Wastegate Actuator?

lorenzo

So, my Vito's a bit poorly, it's a 109 CDI, a 2005 plate. The actuator on the turbo has seized up, something that's not uncommon to these, I'm led to believe. Before I go and spunk a load of money on a new turbo (the actuator on a 109 is not available separately, which is a bummer), I'm going to have a go at unseizing it. However, I'm a complete noob at these things, I have no idea what chemicals will damage seals and even when it is freed up, how much it should move under normal conditions. I've not got the turbo yet, I'll be collecting it in about an hour, so any tips would be much appreciated, ta.

Yep, it's variable vane, the garage said they were a bit sticky, and has managed to free them off but the actuator's still stuck.

Well that was easy, wasn't it?! Went to the garage to pick it up, the guy there showed me the turbo, showed me what it should do and then demonstrated how his lad had cleaned up the wastegate itself but the actuator wasn't strong enough to pull it open. He then removed the bolts holding the actuator onto the linkage, and found the linkage was seized up. A rub with some emery and a splodge of grease and it's back to normal. It's a bummer that he ended up taking the turbo off to show me this, but hey, it's a fuck load cheaper than it could've been!

It also got me thinking, I can buy the actuator for the 111 and 113 easily enough, I wonder what the difference between the two is, should I need one in the future?

Archived