Klx650 Mid Range Stumbling

gurninman

So, earlier this year I bought a 'bargain' KLX650 in the knowledge it was a bit of a smoker

I'd planned to just ride it through the summer and rebuild the motor in the winter ......

First longish run saw oil consumption of around 1l / 100 miles , so I thought I'd better get the motor done a bit sooner

I ordered a lovely forged +2mm Wossner piston and got the cylinder rebored to suit and got it all built up.While I was waiting for the bits, I fitted a stage 3 DJ kit as it's got a seriously big bore pipe and no airbox lid.

Once rebuilt, it fired up straight away and idles nicely.However, when hitting around 4.5k it hits a brick wall, stumbling and struggling to 6k where it fair takes the fuck off.

I changed the main jet for the middle of the ones in the DJ kit to no effect.I've ordered a new fuel filter in case that's an issue, and am going to have a look at the filter screens on the fuel tap standpipes in thee tank.

Any other thoughts as to a remedy ?

I'm tempted to put the carb back to standard to see how it is from a known base

Ah yes, I have that very thing...

I am going to put it back to standard with the lid in situ, I think, and see how it goes then :)

I'm very happy with the way it pulls when it does clear at 6k - had the front wheel up in third, not bad for something knocking out about 45 ponies

Emulsion jet worn to fuck causing massive richness in the midrange? try dropping the needle as far as it will go see if it improves things

Emulsion jet worn to fuck causing massive richness in the midrange? try dropping the needle as far as it will go see if it improves things

Exactly what I was thinking, I'd drop the needle all the way, and work back toward the middle. Just a side note, don't get tempted to change more than one thing at once! You'll get in a mess :D

Float height would affect the throttle on smaller openings, wouldn't it, where as needle position would be when actually accelerating. As others have said, I'd drop the needle right down and work its way back up bit by bit.

Float height is spot on - the carburation was brilliant (with the airbox lid removed) before I did the rebuild and fitted the Dj kit, so am going to drop the needle, see how that goes

I have the smallest main jet in the dj kit still to fit if needed, but hopefully the needle will do the job

The emulsion tube is fine - no ovalling or visible signs of wear

• 4 weeks later...

Well...turned out to be a nick in the carb diaphragm.

Replaced the slide / diaphragm assembly using a Tractor one (same keihin carb , Kawasaki wanted just over £100 , the Tractor one was less than £40)

The bike now revs strongly past the redline and happily wheelies all day long

I like

Archived