Piston Rings

kja.busa

Do piston rings intended to run in a nikasil bore differ from those intended for use within a cast/steel liner? Obviously the clearances differ but are there any material differences in the make up of the rings?

Different material I believe squire, though I can't tell you more than that.

edit, looked up what I've seen before, you cant use chrome rings in a chrome bore, but you can in nikasil. Take this not as the law though. Any piston supplier will be the best people to talk to for actual truth I'd say.

I have just got a set of Wiseco 2 ring forged pistons for my Saab stroker, it says on the rings "for use in cast iron, nikasil and boron composite cylinders.

NOT TO BE USED in chrome plated cylinders

To be more specific I have some 1098RS pistons which I believe should be for nikasil bores, but its possibly easy for my intended use to get a steel liner pressed into a cylinder, as there isn't sufficient material (once the cylinder is bored) for it to be replated.

Ok, So as I read it, you've run out of bore to fit the piston diameter and then Nikasil, but there's enough room to get a liner in there? WTF are you working on.

Can't you fit the liner and then plate it I suspect that ring metallurgy and design is sophisticated enough nowadays to have to have the right surface to sweep on.

Archived