New Chain Going Tight....why?

Elohesra

Why does a new chain tighten up after the first few miles?

I would expect it to stretch, but it does the opposite.

It doesn't, it can't; the sprocket is out of round or the chain has tight spots and you adjusted it on a loose spot

there shouldnt be much in the way of stretch if any at all with a new chain doing a few miles, if its got tight spots after a few miles then its probably been over tightening of the soft link thats caused it...

I didn't say there are any tight spots, and there aren't.

I have rivetted many chains over the years and know what I'm doing, but this has happened a few times now and I just cannot work out why.

If you ride a dirt bike on a beach you will have to keep backing off the chain as the sand makes it go tight, but clearly this isn't happening on a road bike on tarmac.

I didn't say there are any tight spots, and there aren't.

I have rivetted many chains over the years and know what I'm doing, but this has happened a few times now and I just cannot work out why.

If you ride a dirt bike on a beach you will have to keep backing off the chain as the sand makes it go tight, but clearly this isn't happening on a road bike on tarmac.

I didnt say anything about you not knowing what you were doing, I was only giving my opinion to your question and a wee bit about tight spots.. I'll leave you to it ...

Pardon me, I was more responding to DanSP1, who suggests I didn't adjust it correctly.

I'm just curious, thats all. After a 150 mile trip yesterday on a brand new chain and sprockets, I had to back it off when I got home and remember doing this before on new kit.

So I'm wondering if there is a reason.

No, fitted and adjusted cold, and re-adjusted cold again. I originally thought about heat expansion on the rollers, but its not that.

Top spec AFAM chain and sprockets fitted - equal slack around the full chain length.

I was thinking about things like knackered swingarm bearings which could be responsible, but its not that either - my bike is excessively fettled...

Archived