Front End Swapping....

NordicAnt

I think im gonna keep my battered fazer, as its battered, its a commuter and toy, and its battered, but only has 18k on the clocks.

As its an early model I cannot adjust anything except the preload on the rear shock, so I thought about putting a different front end in (probably R1 with goldspots).

Is the easiest way to get custom yokes made with my stem pressed in? And if so, who does it, for how much?

Im assuming that way I can still keep my stock lockstops etc....

Easiest way is to buy an R1 front end. Find bearings with FZ OD and R1 ID, as long as the stems are the same length jobs a good'un

EDIT - custom yokes are BULK dollar. Also If you are really stuck grind the weld off the bottom of the yoke where the stems go through, have it pressed out by someone with a hydraulic press. then do the reverse with the R1 stem.

First off, do some research. You need to know how tall the headstock is on both bikes, if they're the same (or within maybe 3mm), then you only need to look at bearings. If they're very different (and I suspect they might be, the one frame being ally, the other being steel, the R1 will probably be a bit bigger) then you will need a new stem making up, fazer length but to fit the yokes on the R1. You might be lucky and find your fazer stem can be machined to accept the R1 yokes.

You then need to measure the pocket on the frame and see what size outside diameter you need, then get an inside diameter to suit your stem. Your best bet is to keep the bearing height as close to the original fazer bearings as you can.

Your next step is to see about lock stops, if they'll work, and if not, what needs to change to get 'em to work, and also how do you fit the ignition lock, and finally, you'll want some risers to attach your bars onto.

Of course, you could always have a look at the possibility of fitting some RWU early R6 forks, which might just drop straight into your yokes.

yeh, I think research is the key here. Im not sure the rwu early R6 forks fit, I know they don't fit the thundercat which I had before.

this is why I was thinking custom yokes, that way I could keep the spacing for the new forks, so its a plug and play type of thing..

The Thundercat has 41mm RWU forks the R6 is 43.

If this is a early Fazer then the forks are 41mm too so you could just drop T'Cat forks in and you'll get adjustability. For a battered Fazer that's about where I'd want to be.

I'd look at the R6 USD if that's what you want, but you might have to change the wheel with the forks if the spindle's different. That means brakes discs too because they mount differently, I think they're radial calipers too so you'll need a pair of those. Personally I can't see it's worth it. Spend your money on tyres.

You can probably get an R6 shock to fit, you need to check the shock length of the fazer and have a look how much room there is around the top. There are two types of shock on the R6 generally yellow or red spring, the FZR400 3TJ can use the later one because the reservior is horizontal not vertical and fits (with an extension piece) without hitting the subframe.

theres a guy that's got converted r6 shocks for sale atm, so I can get one of those if need be.

doing a bit of research the most simple usd conversion of yzf750r and ktm superduke 990 as both have 30mm stem thicknesses, and just need a bit of machining out the top yoke. but ktm forks are fooking expensive second hand, and the yzf front ends are rarer....

Slight bit of caution with the Thundercat Forks. Early T/Cat used 41mm as mentioned, however, at some point they dropped in the RWU R6 forks (43mm) as part of a model upgrade.

Don't ask how many bits of forks, clip-ons etc that P1 own that are the wrong size.

Does anybody know what year the Fazer went to 43mm, I want some of those Andreanni cartridges for the 41mm fork. Seems that they also do a kit for the Triumph Thunderbird/Bonneville, which is a 41mm fork, but with single disc. My guess is that all this is just Kayaba bouncing known forks around the place, some with clickers, some without.

Slight bit of caution with the Thundercat Forks. Early T/Cat used 41mm as mentioned, however, at some point they dropped in the RWU R6 forks (43mm) as part of a model upgrade.

Don't ask how many bits of forks, clip-ons etc that P1 own that are the wrong size.

Does anybody know what year the Fazer went to 43mm, I want some of those Andreanni cartridges for the 41mm fork. Seems that they also do a kit for the Triumph Thunderbird/Bonneville, which is a 41mm fork, but with single disc. My guess is that all this is just Kayaba bouncing known forks around the place, some with clickers, some without.

Never knew that

Does anybody know what year the Fazer went to 43mm, I want some of those Andreanni cartridges for the 41mm fork.

Looking at fork oil seal sizes on the Wemoto website the Fazer 600 went up to 43mm forks in 2004

Archived