How To Seal A Bleed Nipple On The Threads

szrdave

I have a Magura radial master cylinder, and when fitted it was weeping slightly from around the bleed nipple.

The original nipple has been thrown away as the cone wasn't in great condition, and the bleed nipple area has some repair work from previous damage so the threads aren't 100%.

I have a nice 'easy bleed' nipple which seals internally, but the nose is quite long so it only bites for about three threads and sticks out quite a bit:

Entlueftungsventil-M8x1_25-22-400.jpg

As a solution I was thinking of cutting the nose off so I can screw it right in, but as I'd loose the cone section I'd need to seal it around the threads. Bleeding would then be taken care of using the easy bleed function of the nipple.

To do this I'll need a thread sealant suitable for use with DOT5.1, any suggestions?

Trim the nose off and use a copper washer under the hex? Even easier. - As long as the thread's strong enough to take the torque. Othersise a thread insert would be good....

The top of the thread is a bit ropey, but it's fine further down.

Unfortunately there is not much of a shoulder on the nipple though, and the top of the MC isn't that flat.

Either machine the nose shorter with the correct taper on the seat, or don't bother.

Do not piss about with thread sealant on brakes.

I thought someone might say that! With a suitable sealant I don't see it being a safety issue.

Option two is to get a shorter bleed nipple, but that seems too easy :)

I thought someone might say that! With a suitable sealant I don't see it being a safety issue.

Option two is to get a shorter bleed nipple, but that seems too easy :)

I do see it as a safety issue. 40-50 bar line pressure in an emergency stop. Not worth it for a £10 part.

What about a normal bolt in there, bunging the hole up completely, then getting one of those banjos with a bleed nipple built in?

What about a normal bolt in there, bunging the hole up completely, then getting one of those banjos with a bleed nipple built in?

Would still need to machine a seat on the end of the bolt.

I need the banjo fitting for a brake light switch!

I think the seat in the master is buggered its not the threads at all. You need another master cylinder

The seat is fine luckily, the threads are damaged at the top from it taking a knock.

Bleed nipples?

What's all the fuss about.

Just ram a roofing bolt in there and torque it up to a bazillion ft/lbs.

As found on a zx7-r I once bought on eBay while pissed...

Archived