Transit Cutting Out...

fran9r

My bro has a 52 plate 2.0 TDCI Transit, which has just 47K on the clock. All was fine until yesterday when it cut out and refused to re-start.

Seems this could be injectors, sensors or fuel pump. Will be going on a code reader soon to check.

Just in case it becomes a pump issue, anyone know the parts cost? And people talk about the pump needing reprogramming -how much is that?

It's not simply a case of a blown fuse is it? Mine blew the immobiliser fuse which cuts the fuel pump but still lets it turn over.

Would it be worth checking near the ignition barrel for another key fastened to the code ring thinger? Ours (2001 reg, so a year older but possibly the same model) had some, well we'll call it 'history' eh? The ignition barrel worked as it should but the original key that does all the coding bit was just pushed into the ring that reads the chip in the key (and I presume has something to do with the ECU gubbins), and a new barrel and lock set had been fitted. Ours wouldn't re-start until I found the bodge and sellotaped the key into place.

Is the engine light flashing on the dash?

Daft as it sounds start with fuel filter,if it has the drain bung on the bottom drain it and see what comes out if not replace it but replace with Bosch filter only,they do make a difference.

Had the same thing once and the stuff that came out the filter was just slime,popped a new one on and bingo.

If not that fuel pump would be my guess,had one replaced with a recon unit which was still £500 exchange plus fitting was another ton.

Hope it is a blocked filter.

• 4 weeks later...

Unlikely to be the pump imo. 47k is barely run in! Keep us informed.

Turned out to be the pump. Thinking about it, it may have only 47K, but it was on a council contract, so most days on tickover keeping everyone warm I expect...

Stung a bit, but now fine for track day duties once again. Huragh!

Archived