Race Ecu / Air Filter / Exhaust - Before Or After Break In?

SAB

So I've never owned a bike from new before, and I'm about to in 2 weeks time.

Question at hand is; Is it any "healthier" for the engine during the break in period if I put in the race ecu, air filter, and big bore exhaust?

Or should I just leave her stock and put the goodies on after break in?

The suspect at hand is a 2012 RSV4....again ;)

Thanks up front guys and gals. - Seth

why would it make a difference? Surely the running in process is to allow the piston rings to properly sort themselves out in the bores etc. Changing exhaust/ecu etc wouldn't affect the metal parts of your engine bedding in against each other, would they?

why would it make a difference? Surely the running in process is to allow the piston rings to properly sort themselves out in the bores etc. Changing exhaust/ecu etc wouldn't affect the metal parts of your engine bedding in against each other, would they?

That's my thinking, too. BUT, it is one of those Italian motors and I won't profess to know much past the basics of internal combustion.

That's my thinking, too. BUT, it is one of those Italian motors and I won't profess to know much past the basics of internal combustion.

Pah. You'll run out of electricity waaaay before any engine running in issues come to light. ;)

Haha right....I understand as soon as I press the starter she will erupt in a ball of fire and throw her own wheels into the forrest.

The dealer is very modification friendly. The owner races the same bike. I'll also have the stock ecu if I need to put it all back the way she was.

How come you're running in a bike from 2012 ?

I'd leave it until after the first (free) service, carried out by the dealers

She's brand new...0 miles on the clocks. Took a bit of searching and shipping her from across the country, but I hate the matte colors on the later bikes. The gloss black is my fav.

I always thought it was heat cycles rather than running in?

Personally I'd leave it standard until the 1st service. But I've never owned a new brand spanker!

The first service is just an oil and filter change (and you enter a code on the clocks to clear the service code). I'll be doing that myself. :)

Valve clearances at first service on an RSV4 isn't it?

Manual calls for the first valve check at 12k miles (20000km).

However, they have a history of being out of spec on the early models straight from pizza land.

Indeed. A dealer who knows these bikes and is prepared to do a very thorough PDI is essential when buying an Aprilia.

What's this break in period you speak of?

It's always perplexed me slightly too,, you'll see a bike at a racetrack doing laps, twenty minuits later it's striped back to the bare block for something or other, then it's out again, no run in, no different treatment atall..

Presumably the race bike isn't using fresh barrels and if it goes wrong the owner gets it back to the pits and slots in another engine. Its a little different on your road bike where the length of engine life is a bigger consideration than ultimate speed of a race bike

Archived