Talk To Me Of Eprom's

kanerdog1x1

Ive been given the opportunity to play with a vintage eprom programmer, a handheld item that looks like an 80's calculator. I don't want to get too involved as I don't have either the time nor facilities to learn in depth, I just want to learn some basics. Knowledge is power after all...

This whole situation came about as I need a different chip for the 748, the one I have is for a 748sps, and at the moment the bike has a standard engine fitted. This means that because of the h/c pistons that the sps has, and I believe a higher rev limit, the bike runs ok, but its hardly ideal.

The things I would like to know are:-

What modern software do people use nowadays, specifically for mapping bikes with a 16m ecu?

Is the fuel pump controlled by the chip, or is that just a set parameter in the ecu?

What brand/type of chip is recommended and what are the differences?

Any other little gems of knowledge you would like to share.

Thanks in advance men.

The few things I do know about Eprom's ive picked up from my old man, if you are looking to copy a prom from a standard engine you'll need to know what size it is, which is usually part of its code, 1 meg, 2 meg etc etc. Also dont put them in upside down, there should be a little notch or a dot at one end, the notch means pin 1 is that end (and I think to the left of the notch if you look at it with the pins on the left and right). The prom holder on the circuit board will also have a notch in it.

Ultra violet light will erase an eprom if it has the tiny glass circle in the centre.

I think nowadays all Eproms will be old stock, so brand type will be whatever you can get hold of, but Motorola etc made millions of the little bastards.

If you get the code (which may be under a sticker) I may have some at work which you can have.

Ah, tidy.

The one I have and the ones I have 'borrowed' are all made by 'ST', and are M27C256B, but then the numbers underneath all vary slightly. I just found a handy breakdown on the interwebs here:- http://www.hybridelectronics.com/images/cataloug/s/STEPROMOTPUV.pdf

I have a uv light thing, do you have any idea how long that takes to erase the data?

Chris Steadman, who works out of Lougi Moto, is the man you are looking for.

The UV eraser I have at work is adjustable time wise, but only goes upto 60 minutes.

I think aslong as the old data is corrupted enough (but maybe not totally) it can be overwritten.

Right, I was hoping to learn a little bit, so that I am armed with a little bit of knowledge when I go and see Chris Steedman in a couple of weeks. It'll all come out in the wash in my duc thread in the fullness of time...

I have managed to programme one chip, it's simply a copy of the chip I already have so I have proved that this programming machine works. I am going to borrow another different 748 chip sometime this week and make a copy of that too, the reason I borrowed the kit for in the first place.

I have ordered a handful of new eproms so I'm just waiting for them to arrive.

I asked the lender how long the uv eraser takes, he reckons 5-10 mins, longer the better, but its not always convenient.

:)

Not sure if you've been over to Speedzilla, the place is pretty dead now, but Chris, and a Swedish guy called Tomtom used to post on there, lots of interesting stuff.

http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/ducati-superbikes/38215-748-996-tuning-software-free.html

Brilliant find, thanks Dunc. I'll have a better look later when I'm on a big 'puter.

Not sure if you've been over to Speedzilla, the place is pretty dead now, but Chris, and a Swedish guy called Tomtom used to post on there, lots of interesting stuff.

http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/ducati-superbikes/38215-748-996-tuning-software-free.html

TomTom is active on Ducati MS.

• 3 weeks later...

Right, further to this I have actually had a bit of a play. I have managed to burn a couple of chips, and the one in the bike now is a copy of someone else but is still one of 'mine', something I have produced. It's runs perfectly, so I think I have my answers.

The link above to the speedzillers thread was very interesting, and I have downloaded the software and bought the reader/writer but I haven't really spent any time learning how to use it. If I'm honest, I don't really have the time or desire to learn it, I have managed what I set out to do. Learn a little.

Archived