Tocico 6Pots

vwhelmot

Yes , I know they are shite but how do I improve them. A mate has just bought a k1 gsxr 1000 today and he's already said they are cac. I'm the one who fixes and services the bikes round here so apart from steel lines, how do I get the best out of them. Certain make of pads, master cylinder upgrade?

Cheers. Lyndon.

I'm assuming that you've started with the basics (e.g. stripping them down, making sure that they're spotlessly clean, with fresh seals?)

My suggestion would be a Brembo RCS master cylinder. Not from any personal experience using Tokico six-pots, but only in that the ration is adjustable (18 - 19 - 20) and should offer the adjustability / feel that they may be looking for.

The stock answer of 'bin 'em and get four-pots' would be far too obvious (although cheaper?)

G

Personally I'd just ditch them, buy a set of 4 pots off of a bandit 1200 and rebuild them and plonk them on.

Job knobbed. :)

I had that make on my 2000 fireblade,and thought they were pretty damn good.Got good reception too in the press.Did they deliver poorer quality to suzuki?...

it is not that they are shit as such,

they just require constant care, a set of well serviced well looked after ones will stop just as well as the 4pots from nissin or tokiko with the 90mm spacing, the problem is the bind really easily from road dirt and the 4 pots are considerably cheaper to service and need it less often.

Also make sure you have the correct master cylinder size to calipers

Keep them clean, it pays dividends, and as already mentioned a Brembo master cylinder gives the calipers more bite.

Cheers for the replys, I reckon my mate ain't really going to want to spend on a new master cylinder unfortunately. A strip and clean is a certainty , what about decent pads? Oem or aftermarket? Cheers.

i put brembos in my k2 1000 and that was an improvement, as said keep them clean

it all depends on what your used to , if youve been riding a 2012 fireblade there gonna be a bit shit

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KAWASAKI-ZX12R-ZX9R-ZX6R-TOKICO-6-pot-Front-Caliper-Seal-Kit-Seals-Set-/111233863930?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item19e60e10fa

£14.50 a side? That ain't bad, get em rebuilt and spend the rest on decent pads. Otherwise as above, fuck em off.

On a side note, we ran a mates srad with the outer dust seal removed from the calipers as they were swollen. Worked rather well, removed the softness from the lever but obviously this isn't really recommended unless you keep a clinical eye on your calipers.

I had that make on my 2000 fireblade,and thought they were pretty damn good.Got good reception too in the press.Did they deliver poorer quality to suzuki?...

They're the same make as you had on your blade, but totally different; yours were 4 pots, these are 6 pots, as fitted to a number of suzukis & kawasakis from the mid 90's through to early 00's. Commonly found to seize up and always feel horrible, offering no bite at all.

Easiest way to get a decent long term fix is something like this Check bolt spacing before you buy, although I've a feeling that the 4 pots from the same era, both GSXR & SV fit, bandit 12's vary depending on the model, I think. Basically, don't just by the ones in the link, ask some questions about the bolt spacing.

Take them off and get some four pots, then sell the 6 pots to someone building a streetfighter. They love them for some reason...

They love them for some reason...

They're 50% better than 4 pots, mathematically speaking.

The 6 pots are great when they're in top nick, but they go off very quickly

I ran mine on a ZX-9R without dust seals for 7 years, stripped and cleaned each month.The feel at the lever was very nice - I've ridden bikes with 6 pots and a Brembo master cylinder, and although the lever was very firm, the actual braking performance wasn't as good, and feel was compromised

For easy maintenance, Nissin 4 pots are the best choice - quality is better than the Toks and the master cylinder is perfectly suited.Tokico 4 pots are horrible.

Run em without the dust seals as that's what usually binds first....and then enjoy as he brings them back for more regular cleaning......you both win, better brakes and more spondoolies for you with the work

I have got a single caliper's worth of brand spanking new Genuine Suzuki dust seals for the Tok 6 pot calipers if anyone wants 'em

• 2 weeks later...

just to let you know, ive got a pair of tockico 4 pots that have come off a bandit 1250 that may just do you nicely (can measure hole centres for you).

will be cheap too... :)

As mentioned, I like them. Having tried them back to back with brembo gold lines on two gsx1400 in the same evening, I prefer the power of the 6 pots. Both bikes had the same master cylinder as well, brembo RCS.

My brakes are using the dust seals, I just clean them every year, so roughly 1000-1500 miles. I don't even replace the seals, I just let them soak for a while in brake fluid to get the crud off, clean them up thoroughly in soapy water and dry them with a soft towel. No brake cleaner!

:)

You might want to bleed the 6 pots with 'Tokico' facing up. My thoughts are that air gets trapped where the seal(s, old ones have two per caliper afaik) in between calipers halves sit. Or use the (clean) pistons to move a lot of fluid back up to the m/c.

Or fork out some money for Nissin's 6 pot, if you insist on big calipers.

Archived