Nbr... Cv Joint Replacement

matbmx100

Hi guys

Just got a quick question....

I have in my infinite wisdom purchased a TVR s2 and it needs the cv joints doing....

I've never changed cv joints on anything and wondered just how big a job this is? I'm reasonably mechanical and would like to do the job myself if possible as much as a learning experience?

How to guides are a little lacking online so as a general rule how tough are these to change on a car? Ie do I have to remove all suspension etc or is it a case of wheel of and pull it apart? From what I can see I'll be needing circlip pliers and grease?

Don't suppose someone near london has huge levels of experience and fancies showing me how I exchange for beer tokens??

Mavis

Not sure exactly what model you have, but if it's got the Sierra diff, getting the shafts out isn't too difficult.

I would jack the car up, supporting it on the chassis and let the suspension hang down, Once the shafts are out, the trick bit is if the joints are seized on the driveshaft splines. A big press will be required if they are.

Ignoring rusty chassis tubes is likely to be the hardest part.

Hmm - you need to take the wheel off I think.

Seriously though I think it's straight forward yo need to take the hub off (probably) the as you say undo the circlip and it should just pull off the drive shaft splines. Then pack the new one with grease and put it back on, with a new rubber boot which probably comes in the kit.

It's probably more messing about than difficult and you might want to check the tracking once it's done just to be sure.

Not something I'd want to get my hands dirty for so go see a reasonable garage for a quote

Hmm - you need to take the wheel off I think.

Seriously though I think it's straight forward yo need to take the hub off (probably) the as you say undo the circlip and it should just pull off the drive shaft splines. Then pack the new one with grease and put it back on, with a new rubber boot which probably comes in the kit.

It's probably more messing about than difficult and you might want to check the tracking once it's done just to be sure.

Not something I'd want to get my hands dirty for so go see a reasonable garage for a quote

This a rear drive car, with lobro style joints inner and outer, 6 bolts hold each to a flange on the diff and the hub. Shouldn't need to disturb any of the suspension or hubs.

Thanks guys, dunc it's an s2 so does use sierra bits... So essentially I'm hoping for them not to be seized on and getting prepared for a dirty job....

The not disturbing hub/suspension was kind of my main concern....

With regards to rusty chassis tubes it's actually in very good shape at the moment but I am planning a day of sanding/hammerite...

This a rear drive car, with lobro style joints inner and outer, 6 bolts hold each to a flange on the diff and the hub. Shouldn't need to disturb any of the suspension or hubs.

You mean there are things other than a mini ???

Sell it - buy a Mini

Archived