Fork Seals

l3ddy

I have a pair of aprilia rs 125 forks that require new seals. They are upside down forks and the non radial versions. I have the seals and just wondering wether to give it a go myself?

I have built many engines, rebuilt plenty of bikes etc, so not shy of twiddling the spanners but for some reason I've always thought of suspension as some sort of black art?

The local bike shop will charge me around £50 to do them, I'd like to be able to do them as I hate letting others work on my bikes but at the same time I want to know they are done properly and If they leaked or didn't perform well once I'd assembled them id be a tad frustrated. They are to be used on a race bike so it would be nice to know my way around them too.

I'm guessing I'm going to need to buy a few suspension based tools?

Any help and advice greatly appreciated!

Only specialized tool you'll need are seal drivers.There are many youtube videos out there covering the subject.Just take your time and remember to note the correct order and side of the various parts when dissassembling-saying this from experience.

Good luck.

http://www.zxrworld.co.uk/zxr400oc/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=9037

Take a look at the tool I made for zxr upside down forks. The professionals use a very different approach but this works. The difficulty is caused by the spring being under load. Nothing releases when you take the top cap off. The pressure in the spring releases when you unscrew the bolt that fixes the cartridge to the bottom of the fork. See pictures of how to screw it back in. TBH I am assuming yours are a similar arrangement. I have not done an RS. Let us know how you get on. Suspension is fascinating.

http://www.zxrworld.co.uk/zxr400oc/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=9037

Take a look at the tool I made for zxr upside down forks. The professionals use a very different approach but this works. The difficulty is caused by the spring being under load. Nothing releases when you take the top cap off. The pressure in the spring releases when you unscrew the bolt that fixes the cartridge to the bottom of the fork. See pictures of how to screw it back in. TBH I am assuming yours are a similar arrangement. I have not done an RS. Let us know how you get on. Suspension is fascinating.

Archived