2002 R1 Suspension Set Up

couchcommando

The shock in the rear of my R1 is a maxton which I don't know the history of or the spring rate, static sag is 10mm and sag with rider on board is 35mm, damping adjusters are working fine and have been set so the bike feels right. Front forks are standard at standard height.

Bike handles lovely especially in fast corners but slow corners are proper hard work, from the sag measurements does the rear seem to be the correct spring ? I was thinking slightly less sag with rider on ?

I'd like to have added some rear ride height but there is no height adjuster on the shock, I did try dropping forks 5mm and it made the bike very unstable.

Any comments

By the sounds the spring is a touch soft....if you adjust your rider sag to 30mm this will give a static sag of 5mm which is to low...a static sag of 10mm is the range you want for a road bike being ridden aggressively.

A stiffer spring will make the rear ride higher when loaded up in the corners and so steer better.

Remember...reading static sag only makes sense once you have adjusted preload to give the correct rider sag.

Another thing to take note of is if the rear shock is using an internal topout spring....this effects the static sag/rider sag relationship and can give false/confusing readings.

Spring rate calculator

http://www.reliablespring.co.uk/calculator.htm

You also need to know your weight in full riding kit. Pure guesswork on my part says that you would need a 9 or 9.5 kg spring as long as you haven't hit the pies too hard since I last saw you :-)

In any case forewarned is forearmed, so get as much info together as you can before phoning your chosen suspension guru. Also, somewhere on the depths of this forum is the old PB setup guide from about that era, so it would be worth tracking that down and comparing with your setup.

All this assumes that the suspenders are in good order, recently serviced and oiled.

I was thinking stiifer rear spring, got the info from maxton and I'll have them sort front and rear, front is def soft and apparently they can be reluctant to turn quick as they are but a respring and revavle should sort it.

I usually have 9.5's in the front so I guess that's what they'll put in

• 2 weeks later...

Well, put the standard shock in so the maxton can be sent off, static and rider sag have been set perfect and it is noticeably stiffer, gonna try it first as it may just work perfect !

Archived