Scooter Won't Start

bignige

Hmm.

Gilera vxr180 four stroke.

Been running fine. Noticed the battery struggled a little when left for a couple of weeks.

New battery purchased, charged and fitted.

Click goes the solenoid/starter.

Duff battery?

Charge old one overnight.

Click.

Using a jump lead wire I take a + feed straight from the battery down to the starter motor and expect it to jolt the motor into turning. Which it doesn't.

Im sure I did this with a car YEARS ago.

So I suspect a dead s/motor.

Fit a new one .click.

Order new relay which takes 2 weeks to arrive!

Click.

I realise ive worked backwards but I hate electrics and I threw my multimeter across the garage floor months ago.

Your thoughts and prayers please.

:-)

Disturb anything fitting the new battery? Terminal half falling off? Can you jump lrad direct to starter motor or lead to discount solenoid?

Doh. Didn't read properly...

I get a click on the mighty majesty if you press the starter with the sidestand down or the brakes not pulled in so maybe it's an interlock?

Its a brand new starter motor AND relay..

Oops missed that bit in first post !

If you put a direct feed from a battery to the starter positive and earth the starter to the same battery it has to spin if the starter is ok.

UNLESS something is physically preventing the starter from spinning; in which case the jump lead will soon warm up .

Duff solenoid ? in which case testing the starter motor will make it spin. You could test the old one because it's probably off the bike, if that spins then you know the fault is between the that and the battery

I get a click on the mighty majesty if you press the starter with the sidestand down or the brakes not pulled in so maybe it's an interlock?

No side stand switch.

But you do have to hold one of the levers in.

Its a brand new starter motor AND relay..

I'd suggest checking the switch on the lever

Archived