Old Forks Without Any Bushes .... ?

Gadgeteer

Does anyone have any experience of older forks where the chrome stanchion runs directly against the aluminium casting of the lower legs, with no lower bushes?

Searching on google, it seems like there have been a few bikes built like that - mainly cheaper mid-sized bikes - but it would be good to get a confirmation that I'm not just reading it wrong.

Anyone seen this?

What are the downsides?? Sticky movement and wear out fast???

Thanks in advance

/Gadgeteer

Early RD Yams are like this.

The stickion would be much higher on the rebound than those which run in bushes.

It aided the compression damping somewhat.

They did wear but not unduly so.

That's about the right era for when these forks were designed - makes sense.

I wonder if I could hone out the inside of the casting a bit and fit some bushes. Another thing for my to-do list (in reality it's a to-think-about and not do list!)

Thanks,

I don't think that is a good idea at all.

You usually find it is the chrome on the stanchion that wears away with these.

Funny cos the ally leg is much softer ( but you need some right queer tools to measure that small a dia over that depth.

New or rechromed tubes get them acceptable,

The good thing in this respect is the surface area that is supported is massive as opposed to a bush .

I find these forks are also more prone to binding as the forks twist and bend....which they do easily.

Ahh yes; the era of the aftermarket fork brace (often neither use nor ornament, depending on manufacturer and fitment.)

Modern ZX6R and ZX10R USD run with only bushes in the Al uppers, the stanctions have no bushes. They run directly on the anodised ID of the uppers.

No they have TWO teflon bushes in the upper tube which the stanchion slides against....the advantage here is the fact that nothing is sliding against an anodized ally surface....the oil stays cleaner and when things wear out its just a matter of replacing said bushes.

Archived