Multispoke Lightweight Wheel

Marb

Right, this is what I need.

- Front wheel.

- Multispoke, preferably 5

- Must fit Yamaha/Ducati disks (6 bolt fitment)

- Be 3,50 x 17

- Afordable.

All the wheels I can think of, KTM, Prillia, Ducati are 1) rare as hens teeth 2) Fooking expensive.

Anyone have a good tip on an OEM lightweight wheel?

Honda cbr 600f wheel is the first comes to mind but then you don't have a fitting brakedisk. If you're not to heavily invested in those you could consider it...

[edit] just saw they were 6 spokes, nevermind then :'). [/edit]

Aprilia RSV Mille/Tuono early model Brembo wheels are 5 spoke and your discs will fit.

Does it absolutely have to be 3.50x17? RS125 wheels are common and cheap but are 3.00x17

Honda cbr 600f wheel is the first comes to mind but then you don't have a fitting brakedisk. If you're not to heavily invested in those you could consider it...

[edit] just saw they were 6 spokes, nevermind then :'). [/edit]

6 Spoke would be ok, but really want to be able to keep my disks.

Aprilia RSV Mille/Tuono early model Brembo wheels are 5 spoke and your discs will fit.

Does it absolutely have to be 3.50x17? RS125 wheels are common and cheap but are 3.00x17

It's for a FZR400RR, what tyre size do the RS125's run? I need 120/60.

Good call with the Mille Wheels, know what they weigh?

marchesini fronts pop up quite often

Really? I can't seem to find any. Either they're being sold as a set, or 200 plus quid, or have a flat spot.

I'd settle for a SuperDuke front, or a Ducati Machesini front.

It's for a FZR400RR, what tyre size do the RS125's run? I need 120/60.

RS125s use 110 front and 150 rear. Not so light though, I can weigh mine if you need to know.

to get 'light weight' your really needing to delve into aprilia factory or ducati R or S specs models. everything else is a bit run of the mill.

I found these on ebay though.

rsv mille 5 spoke - 149 Gbp

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50144-Aprilia-RSV1000-Mille-2000-Front-Wheel-/300985165885?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item46141d283d

under 200 pounds gets you a late model r6 front with discs from the USA, then you can sell your existing discs

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/06-07-R-6-R6-Front-Wheel-Rim-Rotors-/351064967576?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51bd1a4998

I found these on ebay though.

under 200 pounds gets you a late model r6 front with discs from the USA, then you can sell your existing discs

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/06-07-R-6-R6-Front-Wheel-Rim-Rotors-/351064967576?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51bd1a4998

But factor in shipping costs and they are about £230. If the seller will actually ship overseas, many will not even if they list it!

I've often thought about making some 675 wheels fit my 3TJ, I think they look great with a thin 5 spoke design. Not looked into the cost of the wheels though, or how easy the fit would be, just admired a neighbours wheels!

Alex.

Early Mille wheels are not light... I bought a set and they were lighter than my standard ZX7R wheels but by bugger-all.

Anyone that's handled 7R wheels will know that its like saying that that Lisa Riley is lighter than Dawn French.

THe stupid thing is, I worked as a bike mechanic for 7 years and changed I don't know how many tyres but never thought to actually weigh them.

I know I was always suprised at how light the later ZX10R wheels are. (<05) and the Super Duke wheels.

So i guess it'll be an RSV Mille R front, marchesini, Duc Marchesini front or a KTM Marchesini front.

Or if anyone has a marvic Penta 1 for under 100 quid, lemme know.

That's the thing, the 3TJ front and rears are already relatively un-heavy. I think the later Yam R6 and R1 5 spoke wheels are lighter than the three spokers though.

Laverda - but they're 3 spoke, Machi's ... fitted standard on my Bimota SB6.

Or KTM

Would you say they're lighter than the 3TJ wheel? I can get one of them relativly easily, but then it still won't match my rear.

BST carbon wheels, 5 spoke I believe. About the same price as a working kidney. I'm guessing you've got two, so sell one and problem solved.

I used to keep a comprehensive list of stuff I weighed myself of wheels,brakes,forks,swingers etc...including measuring the complete unsprung weight of any bike I worked on...its somewhere just have to dig it out...a typical unsprung weight was in the region of 20kg front and 22kg rear.

From memory the stock 3TJ wheel is quite good....but the stock wheel bearings and steel centre spacer can be swapped out for lighter bits which saves quite a lot also....

Archived