Hayabusa Not Starting...

fran9r

OK so a couple of years ago I bought a busa (early model) -it had mashed it's starter motor, so the owner removed it and bumped it for a track day.

I've seen it start/run using this method.

Just added the starter motor and various gears to get it starting under it's own power.

New battery on, press starter...and just get a click from the fuel pump relay. Nothing else.

Anyone got any clues where to start looking? Nothing from the starter at all.

One thing -where should the main earth lead be sited? I went for an engine bolt...

The main earth lead goes to one of the starter motor mounting bolts, the problem sounds electrical so its the usual suspects, the starter circuit is pretty basic so start with the starter solenoid, its common to loads of Suzuki models, or better still see if you can borrow one and try that.

Thanks for the reply.

Swapped the lead, same result. I can hear the fuel pump priming so don't think this is the issue.

Not sure where to look next...

Been pondering trace the handlebar kill switch back to the block connector on the l/h side of the headstock, check the terminals for corrosion. Also the sidestand cut out too.

Good call. When I flick the kill switch, the pump primes, so that seems OK. If I bridge the sidestand cut out, no different.

If I bridge the starter, I get signs of life. Yay! At least the new starter is OK.

Sidestand gets my vote!

Do you have to pull the clutch to start these too?

yes starter relay would be my bet. if you bridge it the thing works yes? if so, get a new one and problem solved.

Twat the relay, I bet it's just a bit stuck. It'll remain free of sticking right up until the point when you're being chased by an angry mob or something, then it'll be totally fucked.

Of course, the signal coming from the starter switch that makes the relay work could be worth doing a continuity check on, see if pressing the starter does anything.

try again with the clutch pulled in?

i spent half a day trying to find out why an SV i had built out of parts wasn't firing, before i noticed the missus' SV had a bridged clutch switch hmmmmmnnn.... :icon_blackeye:

Deffo the relay...put a test lamp accross the green/yellow (starter circuit) and when the starter is pressed it lights up. Relay just not doing it's job.

Just need a cheap relay then -suzuki want about £70!

• 5 weeks later...

OK turned out to be the relay. One replacement and I get a sweet starting busa...

But, it will only run in neutral. Any selecting a gear results in the engine stalling.

I did notice it didn't seem to matter if the clutch was in or not to start...could that be it? The clutch switch causing an issue?

Side stand switch, without a doubt. you can't just bridge them either, you need to replace it with a resistor the mimics the switch.

It's the only logical thing it could be. even my 91 gsxr 750 stalls if I put it in gear with the stand down.

Built a few gsxr k1-k4 track/race bike back in the day, and bypassing the side stand switch was always a faf.

Archived