Brake Lever Pressure

Wallie

Sound like millemille got it then; from what seems to have been said >

The lever is preloading the piston and blocking the fluid return port .

Remove material from the lever until there is clearance and the piston is allowed to fully extend.

Genuine lever.

This is what I don't understand. I have the lever in front of me and there is nothing visibly wrong with it, but when you fit it in place you can see it push the piston a few mm in so must be slightly bent.

The brakes felt shit before and needed to be bled occasionally because of fade but that was it. I would have noticed the force that has gone in to bending it though.

But if it's the same lever as was fitted before the braided lines were fitted why didn't the problem exist before?

Is it 100% certain that the lever is a genuine OEM item?

Unless he had the bike from new; you will never know.

Brakes degraded over time; due a fluid change/bleed, mishap and lever replaced.

He already stated the brakes were poor and required work.

He did the work and the mismatched lever now became the problem.

Only musings !

It will do very little harm to remove a small amount from the lever to create clearance and test.

The piston must return fully to open the port; you know how small they are > 2mm or so.

Sound like millemille got it then; from what seems to have been said >

The lever is preloading the piston and blocking the fluid return port .

Remove material from the lever until there is clearance and the piston is allowed to fully extend.

This is what I said in post #8 :)

I really don't see the lever being bent. The distance between the pivot point and the piston actuator point is less than 20mm and it's a solid ally casting or forging and you'd be talking about it being bent backwards (towards the bars) in order to be pushing the piston in, which just doesn't make sense.

That's why I was asking if it was a genuine OEM lever - pattern or cheap aftermarket levers are notorious for minor inaccuracies like this.

Unless it's an OEM lever and it's the same type as Farmfab01 suggests with the Triumph's and they had a dimensional error from new.

One last check though, with the lever removed and the reservoir cap off does fluid flow freely from a caliper bleed nipple when you crack it open?

With the cap removed and the bleed nipple open, the fluid flows freely from the nipple and actually drops from the reservoir.

Unless he had the bike from new; you will never know.

Brakes degraded over time; due a fluid change/bleed, mishap and lever replaced.

He already stated the brakes were poor and required work.

He did the work and the mismatched lever now became the problem.

Only musings !

It will do very little harm to remove a small amount from the lever to create clearance and test.

The piston must return fully to open the port; you know how small they are > 2mm or so.

Yeah the bike was a few years old when I brought it so it may be a aftermarket, it does look genuine though.

You may even find a genuine lever for a different Kwak model is very similar but not identical .

I have some pattern levers that cannot be discerned from genuine.

Thanks for all the help guys, its really appreciated.

Means now i can get it all sorted ready for its first track day next month.

I fucking hate bleeding brakes, this post is bought to you by no help at all, and pointless post sorry.

10 minute job if it goes well

3 weeks of pure frustration if it doesn't.

I bought one of those vacuum bleeder things it makes the job a piece of pee, & you can bleed the brakes on your own without having brake fluid everyware

I bought one of those vacuum bleeder things it makes the job a piece of pee, & you can bleed the brakes on your own without having brake fluid everyware

I bought mine about 7 or 8 years back for £40, that's about £5 per year and to be perfectly honest, knowing what I know now, I'd have paid double that for it. That said, the hose where it attaches to the nipple has now gone hard over the years, i might have to invest in a new bit of tubing. Other than that, it's working as good as the day I bought it. Mityvac FTW!

I've used mine for other stuff too, it will happily suck up oil & other liquids out of inaccessible areas just connect it up to the compressor & slurp :biggrinvk4:

Just as a bit of an update.

There wasn't enough room on the pin to file enough down so I went with a new lever and still had the same issue. One Brembo m/c later and suddenly I have the best brakes of my life. Was replaced and bled no issue with an hour.

Thanks for all the help guys :)

Archived