Gsxr1000K6 - Leaking Forks Again! Suspensionsmith?

chancho196

Hey folks, having done the job a couple of times now, I'm determined to get these forks leak-free, and working correctly. I've bought the proper seal driver, will make sure every single blemish in the stanchion is smoothed out, and will cross-hatch the tube with a scourer to help the seals bed in.
But... I want to use decent seals. Suzuki dealers round here sell aftermarket seals only (in stock at least). Can anyone give an opinion on using the All Balls fork and dust seal kits? Or point me in the direction of a decent kit/supplier? Suspension Smith?
Thanks in advance.

Just order the OEM seals from Suzuki via a dealer, I only ever use OEM seals and bushes now after wasting time and money having to do the job twice having used aftermarket the first time.

Use red rubber grease along with decent seals.That'll work!Also be sure you assemble all the pieces in the correct allignment.I did not do that,and had leakage like a river down my forks because of that.

Are you sure its the seals and not the stanchions???

You said "" will make sure every single blemish in the stanchion is smoothed out, and will cross-hatch the tube with a scourer to help the seals bed in""

If the stanchions have pits in them (swept area) and they are not 100% smooth it will nick the seals away over time and then they will leak. New stanchions or regrind/rechrome is the way to go..Too much oil in the leg will also blow the seal..

Yes, there are slight chips in them both, but it's never the same fork that leaks after fitting. This is a last ditch effort using the proper seal driver (instead of fitting the seals and then inserting the tubes), and i just want opinions on decent aftermarket kits available. If not, I will try and get the NOK's that the factories used. In a perfect world I would replace the stanchions, but that's mega bucks and it ain't happening. Oil level is set at the 100mm factory spec.

I must admit, I'm not a huge fan of the DLC coating as it doesn't seem to offer any advantage over chrome (regarding stiction at least). There is slight play in the bushes too, but evidently they're not available either. Kayaba's, I shit 'em.

The bushes will surely be available for the K6? I can get new bushes for my 92 RGV from Suzuki!

You'd think so. When I bought the springs from Traxxion Dynamics, they said no too.

ive just done mine and BBM forks seals. both k5s. mad had to buy another stantion as the one that leaked had a tiny chip. it was oil stoned down to nothing. it could not be seen or felt .but it still leaked. replaced that and now no probs. we used oe seals. just order them from the dealer.

Cheers Simbo, I've never known forks as bad, on or off-road. How much did you pay for a stanchion?

they might as well be. I think new there about £500 each.

mad bought his second hand as a complete fork.but only used the stantion. I think he bought it from ebay us. alot cheaper than uk.i cant remember how much though.sorry

I can't believe that there aren't new stanchions and bushes out there. Have you tried ABE, if there's a market, which given that we're talking about a bike that's nearly a decade old there's bound to be, I'm guessing that they'd snatch your arm off to develop an aftermarket solution.

http://www.allbikeengineering.co.uk

the stantions are impossible to get out of the fork lower without damage to both, therefore no one will supply then.has to be bought as a complete lower,,

I don't actually believe that either, probably cost a lot of U/S components to discover how to do it, but

If it's been assembled, it will come apart.

Talk to ABE

I don't believe in built in obsolescence.

I've heard (albeit on forums) that if you were unfortunate enough to have a loose stanchion where it is fitted in the lower casting, you could dunk it in boiling water, unscrew the tube, clean it up and refit with Loctite. Sounds plausible if the threads haven't already been worn out.

Just found the KYB website and Apico are the British dealers for them. Think I've found the genuine bushes! Part number KYB110044300602.

the stantions are impossible to get out of the fork lower without damage to both, therefore no one will supply then.has to be bought as a complete lower,,

Umm no.. Look on the lower and you should see a grub screw. This comes out and the leg is twisted out (with heat).These were some GSXR ones i did that had new Tin coating.. Yours should be DLC.

tincoating007_zpsfd0f842d.jpg

What have Maxton or K-Tech to say on the subject?

Just checking the K-Tech site now. Will email them, thanks Barry!

Umm no.. Look on the lower and you should see a grub screw. This comes out and the leg is twisted out (with heat).These were some GSXR ones i did that had new Tin coating.. Yours should be DLC.

tincoating007_zpsfd0f842d.jpg

How much were they BudgetBoy? Prefer them in gold.

How much were they BudgetBoy? Prefer them in gold.

£150 ish. But with this process the leg must not have any dents or nicks in them. If i were you id look at getting another set of legs as it would work out cheaper for you. Then sell yours as parts. Your stanchions by the sounds of it need a strip,regrind,rechrome & recoat which is silly money.. A new leg will cost £400 ish if you are lucky.

The bushes i get from ktech and these are what you need.

As BudgetBoy says, these are quite straightforward to take to bits. Once you have the forks apart, just unscrew the grub screw, apply heat to fork bottom to soften the threadlock glue and twist. They'll come apart, no bother.

I was told that the grub screw is often done so tightly that it's ruined the thread on the stanchion, therefore about 50% of the time disassembling the lower will knacker the stanchion. A new fork lower is £500. I've recently noticed that Wemoto have started doing an after market K5/6 stanchion for a few hundred.

If you decide to get a second fork/pair of forks ebay USA is your friend, way cheaper than UK forks even with import duty.

Careful removal should see the grub screw out ok, heat and a few taps to loosen it off, nice slow turning movement with a good quality Allen key, if you use releasing fluid burn it out of the socket of the screw as it lubricates and increases the chances of the Allen key turning in the socket.

If you've got an impact driver can you get the correct size Allen bit for it?

• 4 weeks later...

An update folks. A few rides in and forks are absolutely bone dry, no hint of oil smears at all. Write up here: http://goo.gl/jPFc32

Now what's the recommended pressures for a track day on Dunlop Q3's? Taking it to Queensland Raceway this weekend.

Sorry Mate I have only just seen this now....good to hear its fixed.

I find one issue with reoccurring leaks is with how the seal is applied onto the stanchion.....I use those plastic air filled packaging bubbles/sausages that stuff comes with sometimes....its reaaly thin but tough plastic and I cut each end off them to form a tube....I apply this to the end of the stanchion then ease the seal on over the plastic and stanchion with some fork oil for lube...the plastic protects the seal lip from the sometimes sharp edges of the stanchion and also the bleed holes in the stanchion as you slip the seal down....then hold the plastic in place and slip the seal off the plastic.....always inspect the seal lip to make sure it hasnt folded back on itself which is another cause of leaks....done.

Thanks SS, a few good rides in and the stanchions are dry as a chip. We live and learn. :icon_salut:

Archived