Where To Get Cylinders Bored Out In The South?

szrdave

I spoke to Steve Jordan M/Cs earlier today as I assumed they'd be able to do it, but they subcontract it out and will get back to me on Monday with a price.

Any other places worth trying (that aren't too far from SW London)? I could get a local engineering firm to do it but I'd like a place with experience of boring motorcycle cylinders who could give me some advice on clearance etc.

Ideally I'd like to use a place I can drop stuff off rather than having to post things, that place in Essex might be worth a look thanks Jamie. If you don't mind me asking how much is 'a lot'?

I've got a Wiseco 700 kit to go into my Bros 650 engine (which will go into my Bros 400), the box says 0.051mm clearance but according to the Bros/Hawk owners club this is a bit much. I'm not going to deviate from the manufacturers spec based on someones opinion on an internet forum (PBMF excluded, obviously) so it'd be nice to get some advice from a professional!

If it says 0.051 on the box that's what I would aim for. Clearance depends on the size of the bore, but more specifically the piston material and manufacture.

Forged pistons traditionally need @ 60% more clearance than cast, so they can be a bit Slappy when cold and need careful warming of the engine. Modern forged pistons do seem to need only slightly more clearance than cast though.

Thanks chaps, I'll stick with the manufacturers recommended clearance then.

I've got a lead on a local guy who fits the bill (as long as he's still going), but if not there are plenty of options now.

it also depends on the liner material you have to run a larger clearance on a cast iron liner than you do on a plated bore. old school rule of thumb is a thou per inch.

with an omega you bore it to cock on 100mm or whatever and they allow the clearance on the piston - UNLESS it is for a liner and you have a plated bore piston.

imo always ask the piston manufacturer, you have to know this and the ring gaps before you start.

oh, it was a lot, but i had a new custom liner too

Archived