Ducati 748 Reg/rec Issue

connor

Bonjour all, I have a Cobra Spyball alarm on the bike and its been fine since install but recently been temperamental, I got the guy out who fitted it and turns out its not the alarm but the wiring on the bike, all the wires on the loom that sit behind the battery had corrosion on the cables due to water and the way the loom sits, easily sorted but the main issue and the point of this post is the reg/rec. One of the wires has burnt the outer protection off the wire, as the reg/rec is charging fine he said replace the wires and the connectors, using the same kind as bellow.

_12.jpg

Now all thats fine and ok but what amp of cable should I be using?

10 AWG was the one I used, or heavy cable used for car amps (AWG10/12), did the job perfectly well for me!

Those superseal connectors are no way up to taking the current from the alternator to the reg/rec.

The standard Ducati wiring is border line. Ideally if it's a 2phase system you need to replace the yellow wires back to the genny with 10g and some big ass connectors. Radio control car battery connectors were what was recommend to me.

I would not use that connector. It's doesn't have a high enough current rating. I've replaced a fair number of wiring/connectors on the 748/916 bikes and as with all reg/rec's the current can easily exceed 10A. I've always used a standard 6.3 mm 3-prong spade connector and put a rubber boot over it for water protection.

Edited to add that SuperDunc's fingers are faster than mine.

I've used these before a number of times and they can handle over 100 Amps. They are not "sealed" but if you put a heat shrink sleeve over it, it will be a vast improvement over the Ducati connector.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=36802

I'd also order the silicon wires from the same place. I'd go with min. 8 AWG size. Silicon insulation is good to 200 deg C. Like this:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__9677__Turnigy_Pure_Silicone_Wire_8AWG_1mtr_RED.html

Archived